- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, March 21, 2008

Randy Jackson's Music Club: Volume One

various artists
"RANDY JACKSON'S MUSIC CLUB: VOLUME ONE"
(Concord, 2008)


"Something To Believe In" - Van Hunt, Jon McLaughlin & Jason Mraz


Okay, as a newly addicted "American Idol" viewer, how long could I have been expected to resist buying this CD? Randy is the "Idol" judge that I like the most, and as soon as I heard that this album was coming down the pike, I somehow trusted him to put out a good collection of music. Plus, when I found out it was going to feature musicians like Joss Stone, Jon McLaughlin and Jason Mraz, I just knew that it would be good. To my delight, I wasn't disappointed.

Featured on this album is Paula Abdul's return to music, after 12 years, with the single "Dance Like There's No Tomorrow", an unexpectedly addictive throwback to '90s synth-pop. As much as I dislike new songs borrowing from old ones, I must admit that the Joss Stone jam "Just Walk On By" borrows effectively from the Dionne Warwick classic "Walk On By". Other highlights include a well-done country take on the Michael Bublé song "Home", Angie Stone joining Keb' Mo' and Sam Moore on a deliciously bluesy rendition of the Howlin' Wolf classic "Wang Dang Doodle", a soulful duet between "Idol" alumni Katharine McPhee and Elliott Yamin, and newcomer Barbi Esco on the appropriately titled "My R&B". Included with this post is the uplifting anthem "Something To Believe In", featuring Jon McLaughlin and Jason Mraz ... maybe not one of the most impressive songs in the collection, but one of my favorites.

Through its twelve tracks, this album touches on most every genre of music, from adult-contemporary pop, to hip-hop, to R&B, to blues, to country, and closes out with a huge gospel number. Rumor has it that Jackson wanted this album to sound like "the ultimate radio station" (probably not an exact quote), and he pretty-much accomplished just that. I already can't wait to see what Volume Two has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment