- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, July 11, 2008

George Stanford

GEORGE STANFORD
"BIG DROP"
(Mercury, 2008)


"Big Drop"


I had a feeling this album would be good when I listened to the soundclips online the first time, but it still surprised me how much I'd love it. George Stanford doesn't try to knock our socks off with either his songwriting or his singing, but he somehow manages to do so, at least with me. His phrasing is mature, but not pretentiously so; and his voice is earthy and real, but not impeccably perfect. But that's his style, and this album is all the better for it.

My current favorite track is the Jason Mraz-like "Get Free", with its insanely catchy chorus. "Let's Stay Here" has a kind of Paul Simon vibe, but with a bit of a country sound. There's the pseudo-funky title track, and the sunny '70s throwback "30,000 Feet". But then, every song on here is a keeper ... I'm even starting to like "Downriver" despite that note in the chorus that originally struck me as sounding terribly out-of-place.

Since I can't precisely put my finger on why I like this guy so much, I realize that this review might not be all that helpful, at least not until you check the guy out for yourself. Maybe then you'll find out why George Stanford's "Big Drop" is sitting comfortably in my list of the Top Five albums of 2008, and is unlikely to be removed from it.

2 comments:

  1. What a great album...

    thanks for the introduction!

    Delta Goodrem's first US cd comes out today. I hope you have discovered the GENIUS that is her first album in AUS Innocent Eyes. Check out samples sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I owe it to myself (or, more to the point, to you) to check her out, since I could end up liking her as much as you like Mr. Stanford. I'll keep you posted! ;-)

    -T

    ReplyDelete