- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Matt Morris

MATT MORRIS
"WHEN EVERYTHING BREAKS OPEN"
(Tenman/Interscope, 2010)


Just when I was starting to give up hope of finding anything unique and remarkable in music this year (one of a few reasons why this blog has been so inactive lately), along comes singer-songwriter Matt Morris and his debut album, "When Everything Breaks Open". Since it's produced by Justin Timberlake and Charlie Sexton, it stands to reason that the album would sound like a blend of the contemporary R&B stylings of the former and the semi-bluesy folk-rock of the latter ... which it more-or-less does, but such a simple comparison would sell this album short.

I love artists like Matt Morris, who seem to effortlessly weave from one style of music into another from track to track, but still manage to make their albums sound like a cohesive whole. One moment, he's laying down a funky, layered, R&B-ish jam on "Don't You Dare", then he gets his Jason Mraz on with "Money". A bit later, he wraps a political statement in wry humor on "The Un-American", then breaks for the tender acoustic ballad "Let It Go", only to kick it into high gear once again with the foot-tapping "You Do It For Me". And just wait until you hear the sumptuously soulful closer, "Eternity".

This album was released independently back in January, but somehow I missed it until it was picked up for wider release by Interscope earlier this month. I'm just glad I finally caught wind of it and let it work its charms on me. This album is on its way to being my favorite of the year, and at this rate Matt Morris just might become one of my new favorite artists.

Buy it digitally from iTunes
Buy it on CD from Amazon

1 comment:

  1. This album is one I keep meaning to buy. Matt seems like a very artistically whole act.

    He sang a demo for a Christina Aguilera song a while back--for her second album--that I adored. Much more "pop" than this album (I love your description of the two worlds it combines, by the way), but a good change of pace.

    ReplyDelete