- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

CD of the Week: Kavana


KAVANA
"SPECIAL KIND OF SOMETHING: THE BEST OF KAVANA"

(EMI/UK, 2007)

There's one problem with having as big a CD collection as I do: if something is more than a year or so old, or isn't one of my current favorites, it can go overlooked and unheard for months, perhaps even years. Such is the case with British pop singer Kavana, who hit the all-too-brief height of his popularity in the late '90s. Or, should I say, "such was the case" -- thanks to this compilation, I doubt I'll be neglecting him for quite awhile now.

I had forgotten what a deliciously smooth and seductive voice Kavana had, and how skillfully he used it. (Maybe that's one reason I should be glad I haven't listened to him for so long: too much of him and I'd probably be taking his voice for granted.) He could hold his own against Michael Bublé, Josh Groban, and any of the other easy-listening/classical crossover artists who have come along in recent years. In fact, I've thought several times that Kavana should have been recording albums of pop standards from the '40s and '50s; they'd arguably be the best showcase for his vocal prowess. Mind you, that's not to say that his pop records are any less enjoyable -- he sounds fantastic regardless of what he sings.

This disc is one of the most well-put-together compilations of any artist I've seen in quite awhile. Not only is it filled to capacity (19 tracks at a running time of 79 minutes) and inexpensively priced, but it's got plenty of treats for those of us who only have his two albums. Besides the expected singles and a smattering of album tracks, the lineup includes a remix ("Special Kind Of Something"), an extended cut ("Release It"), an acoustic version of an album track ("Wait For The Day"), a pair of rare, non-album B-sides ("Is That You?" and "Isn't Love Insane", two of his best B-sides in my opinion), and three songs that were never before released (including a beautiful duet with Scottish singer Lulu). Even for me, who has (I think) every B-side Kavana had ever previously released, this disc was a must-buy just because of the three newly-available tracks. Naturally I've got favorite songs I would have chosen over some included here, but very few (and doesn't everybody have small quibbles with greatest-hits records?).

His appearance on a recent UK television show seems to have caused something of a resurgence in his popularity. Kavana hints in the liner notes that this is a re-introduction to his music, and that he plans on releasing a new recording soon. I certainly hope so ... with his talent, Kavana deserves a longer and more prosperous singing career than he's gotten so far, and it would be a long, long time before I'd even begin to get tired of listening to him.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the info. I didn't know Kavana had a new CD released... As you explained, even if it's only a best of, the tracklisting is a must have even for someone like me (and you) that has already got his two albums... :) thanx again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I didn't know about it myself until less than a week before it came out! I should have known that Kav would pop his head up eventually somewhere ... too darn good to stay silent forever!

    ReplyDelete