- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Early '90s Month: PC Quest

PC QUEST
"DIRECTIONS"
(RCA, 1992)


"It Must Be Love"


The first album by teen-pop quartet PC Quest, who hailed from Oklahoma, was quite cheesy even by early '90s pop standards, but it had some cute songs that I still have a soft spot for. Their second and final album, "Directions", was a bit more grown-up and again had a handful of songs that were enjoyable, but this time for less shame-inducing reasons -- even Chad Petree, the cherubic sweetie-pie of the group, being in full-on Axl Rose worship mode can more-or-less be forgiven. More mature love songs ("If Love Is Blind", Almost In Love") and catchy rockers ("(She's Not a) Bad Girl", and my favorite "We Could Be Trouble") abound, although there's the occasional clunker, like the seriously dated-sounding cover of "Cathy's Clown".

Having presented PC Quest before in a less-than-flattering light, this time I thought I'd share with you one of their better songs. I think of PC Quest as a kind of "nexus" in my world of music, since I have them to thank for my love of Graham Colton (in whose band Drew Nichols played guitar on their 2004 album) and Shiny Toy Guns (of which Chad Petree is a founding member). Steve Petree co-wrote some of the songs on STG's debut album, and I've heard that Kim Whipkey is now a wife and mother who still sings in her spare time. Maybe they'd rather forget PC Quest, but I'll always remember them with fondness.

No comments:

Post a Comment