- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Monday, June 2, 2008

Lucie Silvas

LUCIE SILVAS
"BREATHE IN"
(Mercury/Europe, 2004)


"Twisting The Chain"


I honestly didn't think much of this album after picking it up on a whim from the Tower Records clearance bin, so I traded it in at the local store about a year and a half ago. Since then, her lovely bilingual re-recording of her single "What You're Made Of" with the late, great Grégory Lemarchal on his debut album -- and my discovery that this disc also contains, of all things, a Metallica cover -- sparked my renewed interest in this album. Fortunately for me, the local shop still hadn't sold it when I went back last week looking for it, and they even cut me a break on buying it back.

How could I not have appreciated British singer Lucie Silvas before? I suppose the closest vocal comparison I can readily make (bearing in mind my limited familiarity with female voices) is to Christina Aguilera -- she can be delicately intimate in one track, and boldly brassy in another -- and she even has vaguely the same timbre. Not quite as soulful as Joss Stone (except maybe on the pseudo-gospel number "The Longer We're Apart"), but not quite as pop as Mandy Moore (though the bouncy title track comes close), there's really not a bad song on here.

It turns out that Lucie Silvas is something of a songwriter as well, having penned tracks for Will Young, Gareth Gates, and others. Not only am I sorry I ever got rid of this disc, and lucky beyond reason to have been able to get it back, but I'm putting her second album on my wish list right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment