- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Favorite CDs of the '90s -- #35 to #31

35. BOYZONE - "A Different Beat"
(Polygram/Ireland, 1996)

Boyzone were a few years ahead of the boyband craze that swept the world at the end of the decade, and while nearly all young male singing groups before and after have sung about nothing but love (looking for it, falling in it, or getting hurt by it), this Irish group's sophomore album explored more philosophical ground, such as embracing our differences ("Melting Pot"), trying to get along with each other ("A Different Beat"), and just figuring out what life in general means ("Isn't It a Wonder"). Definitely a breath of fresh air in boyband pop.

34. METALLICA - "S&M"
(Elektra, 1999)

"They think it was my idea; I think it was theirs!" wrote composer/conductor Michael Kamen in the liner notes. But whoever it was that thought to combine the furious thrash of Metallica with the sweeping grandeur of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, the end product -- two bombastic worlds of music that couldn't be more different, being ingenously woven together and continuously building on the power they seem to draw from one another -- is nothing less than a force of nature.

33. DEADEYE DICK - "A Different Story"
(Ichiban, 1994)

They may be a one-hit wonder for their popular single "New Age Girl", but I found plenty more to like on their debut album ... "Perfect Family", "Marguerite", "Sentimental Crap", and seven other tracks percolating with ridiculously catchy melodies and wonderfully witty lyrics. I am honestly at a total loss as to why this album wasn't a huge hit, but at least I have it, plus one other album from them, that I'm happy to say I've enjoyed listening to for many years.

32. BETTER THAN EZRA - "Deluxe"
(Elektra, 1995)

This alt-rock band from Louisiana sprang onto the scene with their smash-hit single "Good", and are still together. Propelled by Kevin Griffin's hearty vocals, this album is packed with great songs -- the upbeat "Rosealia", "Cry In The Sun", the exquisite ballad "Porcelain", and the briskly gliding closer "Coyote". Most of their subsequent albums have had a hard time stacking up to this one, but I've been a listener of theirs ever since.

31. THE RIPPINGTONS - "The Best of the Rippingtons"
(GRP, 1997)

In my opinion their glory days are gone, but for over ten years Russ Freeman and the Rippingtons put out some of the absolute best instrumental songs that I've ever heard before or since. I've tried to find another contemporary-jazz group that I like as much as these guys, but keep coming up disappointed. I had such a hard time deciding which album of theirs I liked more, that I just threw up my hands and put in this compilation. A cop-out maybe, but you can't go wrong with the hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment