- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Favorite CDs of the '00s -- #15 to #11

15. HANSON - "Underneath"
(3CG, 2004)

This was the Hanson album that I'd been waiting for, only I didn't know until I heard it. As good as their previous albums were, they'd never sounded as pure and natural as they do here. The anthemic "Dancin' In The Wind", the breezy "Penny & Me", the bouncy ballad "Deeper" (featuring Michelle Branch), and the foot-stompin' "Lost Without Each Other" ... if I'd known it was going to be this good, I'd have been willing to wait a lot longer than four years.

14. MICHAEL TOLCHER - "I Am"
(Octone, 2004)

His single "Sooner Or Later" got picked to be the theme to a short-lived network drama show, but otherwise this guy was sadly lost in the crowd of Gavin deGraws and Mat Kearneys that flooded the scene in the middle of the decade. But it's still in print, so there's time to correct that injustice. Cycle through the audio clips online -- there's not a bad song on this album -- and you'll find twelve compelling reasons to add this one to your collection.

13. THE FEELING - "Twelve Stops And Home"
(Universal/UK, 2006)

This UK band burst onto the scene with some of the most enchantingly melodic pop-rock since Supertramp. Whether it's upbeat fare such as "Love It When You Call" or "Fill My Little World" that you're looking for, or subdued balladry like "Same Old Stuff" or "Sewn", there's an awful lot to like here. Maybe if they'd used the whimsical and colorful UK cover art for the album's US release, it might have sold better.

12. KRISTIAN LEONTIOU - "Some Day Soon"
(Polydor/UK, 2004)

I started out liking the comparable Daniel Powter at first, but before too long I was trading in Powter's CD out of boredom and becoming fonder of this disc with every listen. Unique but familiar-sounding singer-songwriter tracks dressed with equal parts electronica and organic instrumentation, it's lifted my spirits on more than one occasion ... probably the best impulse-buy from an unknown (to me) artist that I've ever made.

11. NICK CARTER - "Now Or Never"
(Jive, 2002)

Forget Justin Timberlake, I thought to myself back then ... this was the solo boyband singer's album I had been waiting for. I still love nearly every rockin' tune on this disc, sung in Nick's endlessly charming, Bryan-Adams-styled rasp -- especially "My Confession", "Blow Your Mind", "Heart Without a Home", "Help Me", and my favorite, "I Got You" -- and I'm still pissed that we have yet to see a second solo album from him.

2 comments:

  1. For my money, "Lost Without Each Other" is one of the best songs of the '00s.

    The Feeling's debut has some truly fantastic songs on it. I haven't played it recently, though, so I think you may have inspired me to do so today.

    Nick's solo career should have done better. "I Got You" is beautiful and "Blow Your Mind" was like Max Martin testing out his new pop-rock template before Kelly Clarkson made it huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on all counts, PG ... especially my feelings on Hanson's "LWEO". I plan on making an "ultimate mix" for a couple of my friends whom I've just recently added to my Xmas list, containing my absolute favorite songs ever (probably gonna have to be two discs, 'cause how can I possibly be expected to limit it to one?!?), and that's gonna be on it!

    -T

    ReplyDelete