- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, January 8, 2010

Favorite CDs of the '00s -- #70 to #61

70. THE FRAY - "How To Save a Life"
(Epic, 2005)

One of my last memories in a Sam Goody store (not that they were all that, but anyway) was seeing the video for "Over My Head" and instantly falling in love with the song, making me pick up the CD right away. I'm pleased to say the rest of the album lived up to the single!

69. ERIK FABER - "Between The Lines"
(Epic/Norway, 2002)

I've never become so completely enamored of an artist's music so quickly as I have this Norwegian pop singer/songwriter. Just weeks after a friend sent me a home-burned sampler, I'd tracked down all three of his albums (this is his wonderful debut), and still listen to them regularly.

68. THE CLICK FIVE - "Modern Minds and Pastimes"
(Atlantic, 2007)

Most people prefer their debut, but for some reason I found more to love on this power-pop band's sophomore disc, especially the deliciously '80s "Addicted To Me", the groovy "Headlight Disco", and my favorite, the emo-ish "Long Way To Go". I didn't even notice there was a different lead singer.

67. RAY CHARLES - "Genius Loves Company"
(Concord, 2004)

Talk about going out on top! The man who gave birth to soul music shares the microphone with a spectacular array of talents, including Diana Krall, Johnny Mathis, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, and Elton John. Brother Ray couldn't have put together a better swan song.

66. TYRONE WELLS - "Remain"
(Universal Republic, 2009)

There's nothing like an impulse buy that ends up being a favorite, and that's just what happened with this guy's sophomore album. At turns sounding like Mat Kearney, Coldplay, and James Taylor, he delivers a great set of compelling and gently inspirational pop songcraft.

65. ANNE MURRAY - "Duets: Friends & Legends"
(EMI/Canada, 2008)

She's never really been a favorite of mine, which makes it all the more surprising how much I like this album. Amy Grant, Nelly Furtado, Carole King, the Indigo Girls, and Olivia Newton-John are just a few of the outstanding female voices that join her on this divine collection.

64. ROONEY - "Rooney"
(Geffen, 2003)

Seldom is a rock band's debut album this good, and seldom does a band from 21st-Century California sound so 1960's-era British. Hit singles "Blueside" and "I'm Shakin'", the waltzy "If It Were Up To Me", and the great "Simply Because" are just a few of the highlights.

63. BEN LEE - "Ripe"
(New West, 2007)

Ben Lee's 2005 breakthrough album, "Awake Is The New Sleep", was so amazing from top to bottom that I was still enjoying it when his follow-up was released. I knew that nothing could top that slice of indie-pop heaven, but this one came a heckuva lot closer than I expected.

62. FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE - "Welcome Interstate Managers"
(S-Curve, 2003)

Having enjoyed their previous album, I was ahead of the curve by the time the rest of America met "Stacy's Mom" and made them superstars. With the rockish "Bright Future In Sales", the folky "Hey Julie", and the countrified "Hung Up On You", fame was bound to come to them sooner or later.

61. RANDALL BRAMBLETT - "Thin Places"
(New West, 2004)

A magazine's sampler CD introduced me to this roots-rock singer-songwriter, and this album slowly but surely grew on me. The shuffling "Playing Card", the rich ballad "You Can Be The Rain", and especially the lush masterpiece "Are You Satisfied" make this a can't-miss album.

No comments:

Post a Comment