- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Compilation Celebration!

After recently touching on the subject with a friend and fellow blogger, I was inspired to do today's post on the subject of import compilations. (I'm trying to give you folks more posts than usual this week, since I'll be on vacation next week and probably won't be posting anything.) Import compilations are often overlooked as a fun way of not only getting a taste of what's hot on the radio in other countries, but also of discovering new artists that might otherwise remain forever under your radar. What follows is a short description of some of the better import compilations I've found over the years, and why I love them.

"International Music: Sony Music Around The World" (Sony, 1999) -- Technically this is not an import, because it was released in the U.S. as part of Sony's "100 Years: Soundtrack For a Century" series. But it might as well be, since its track listing consists almost entirely of songs you otherwise won't find anywhere but on import releases. Don't be misled by the title -- this isn't the kind of acoustic/ethnic "world music" you would find on those high-brow compilations from labels like Putumayo; this is pop music, like you might hear on any given country's radio dial alongside the more internationally-known hits from the U.S. or U.K. Many of the songs are sung in foreign languages, and a fair share of them are laced with touches of the traditional musical roots of their respective countries. It's an expansive, two-disc journey across the world (literally) of popular music -- you name the country, it's probably represented here. Simply put, if you like the sort of music that Poster Girl or myself likes, get this collection now!

"Big" (Warner/Thailand, 2004) -- "The cheeseburger album", as I like to call it (since that's what graces its cover photo), is notable for a rare Justin Timberlake track, "I'm Lovin' It" (yes, the song that was adopted for the ongoing McDonald's ad campaign), a single by Swiss pop singer Patrick Nuo, and also for my own personal discovery of the song "Hey Ya!" by Outkast ... no, not a "rarity" by any means, but a song that I ignored, thinking that no song could live up to the hype that was bestowed upon that one. But obviously, I was wrong...!

"Only Fools And Horses: The Album" (BBC/UK, 2002) -- This is actually a soundtrack, but I'm unfamiliar with the BBC television series, so as far as this "Yank" is concerned, it fits better into my compilations section. And what a compilation it is! Two discs full of an enchanting blend of popular music -- most familiar with U.S. audiences, but a few U.K.-bound gems are included -- from the last two decades of the 20th Century. If you're new to '80s music, or already have a fondness for it, take this compilation for a spin!

"Now 6" (EMI/Asia & Universal/Asia, 2000) -- Not to be confused with its counterpart in the U.S. "Now! That's What I Call Music" series, this is the sixth installment of the Southeast Asian version of the series. While most of the tunes on here are available domestically, the selection is just packed with top-notch favorites ("It's My Life" by Bon Jovi, "Bang Bang Boom" by The Moffatts, "New Beginning" by Stephen Gately, "If Only" by Hanson, and the list goes on), and it's a CD I could listen to over and over again. Plus, the inclusion of a cool bonus VCD, with a short but sweet video message from The Moffatts and a clip from their "Bang Bang Boom" video, makes for a neat "souvenir" that I couldn't pass up!

"Dreamin': Pop Classics Recollection" (Victor Entertainment/Japan, 2003) -- I happened upon this fantastic collection of '50s and '60s pop on eBay, while I was buying a couple other CDs from the same seller, and decided on a whim to pick it up at the same time. I'm glad I did, 'cause I ran into a couple of gems I'd never heard before ... most notably, "I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door" by Eddie Hodges, probably the cutest song about unrequited teenage love that you may ever hear. And who can resist a CD with a (licensed) photo of James Dean gracing its cover?

No comments:

Post a Comment