- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, June 22, 2007

Song of the Month: If I Ever Lose This Love

Thanks to my impending vacation, here's a treat for you: the Song of the Month, a week early!! Enjoy, and I'll tell you all about my vacation -- and, more importantly, my music finds -- when I get back!


"If I Ever Lose This Love"
Christian Wunderlich
from the album "Reflections" (BMG/Germany, 2000)

Christian Wunderlich broke into show business as an actor on a television soap opera in his native Germany. Capitalizing on his teen-idol status, he recorded two pop albums between 1998 and 2000, garnering a few hit singles and a smattering of music fans, myself included.

This is probably my favorite song of his, taken from his second CD, "Reflections", and showing the shift toward a more intricate and mature pop sound that he took after his more basic debut album. The echoes and reverb that are lightly layered throughout give this mid-tempo love song an atmosphere that I find quite engaging ... and the string interlude is pretty cool too, without slowing down the song one bit.

Christian Wunderlich may not be the most talented singer in the world, but in my opinion his occasionally off-key voice (not nearly so much on "Reflections" as on his first CD) is part of his charm, and to this day I still enjoy listening to both of his albums. Anyone who likes pop boys will probably like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment