- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Blog Blog, Yadda Yadda

Okay, I feel kind-of like a hypocrite. I've got all those blogs in my links list on the right, and I almost never visit any of them. That's probably because, up until just a couple of weeks ago, I had a miserably slow dial-up internet connection at home. Now that I'm wired for speed and can cruise the web not only faster, but anytime I want and without worrying about tying up the phone line, I just need to remind myself that I can go and read those blogs whenever I want. That's what I've been doing this evening, actually, and here are some goodies I've found:

Chart Rigger has clued me into Annie Lennox's new album, and shown me the video for its first single. I was disappointed with her last CD and am pleased to know that it seems to be a much more upbeat affair (produced by Glen Ballard, no less) ... I'm gonna have to grab that one, I think, seeing as how I've loved "Walking On Broken Glass" for the last 25 years.

Pop Unlimited took me on a fun little trip through an early '90s UK music show courtesy of YouTube clips ... all the more fun with Acerben's witty writing. It makes me wish I were living there instead of here. I might as well be, considering how much more familiar I am with UK music than with the dreck that comes out of this country.

The Rawking Refuses To Stop! has turned me onto The Thrills' new album which, for now, is only available as a UK import (see, I told you, I should be living there!). I'm not the biggest fan of Conor Deasy's somewhat "whiney" voice, but the songs are about as close to a breeze of fresh air coming out of the speakers as we're going to get before such technology actually makes it possible.

This'll teach me to keep up on the other music blogs out there ... You Don't Know Pop recently had a poll on the best B-sides ... and only now, after voting is closed, do I find it. But getting to hear the new Matchbox Twenty single, and seeing "Lost Without Each Other" (perhaps my favorite Hanson song) also being posted, softens the blow. I've just downloaded a couple of other gems from that blog, too ... a recent A-Ha single and a Will Young B-side ... neato!

Thanks to Zeon's Music Blog, I've just found out that Paul Anka will be following up his "Rock Swings" album with another disc of swing-style covers of recent hits! Incredibly cheesy, sure ... but so much fun for those of us who don't take music too seriously.

Hi-Fi Heart is a somewhat fun blog to read ... a very well-rounded taste in music (I regularly find albums on there that I have already, so how bad can it be?). ... KulPop has a tidbit about Ryan Cabrera (though I'd already heard it elsewhere, but only because I'm bad at reading blogs) and is, as I am, eagerly awaiting Ben Lee's new CD. ... The Late Greats may be the most fun of the blogs I (try to) read, 'cause it not only covers new music, but also music from every decade since records were invented.

Last, but by absolutely no means least, is Poster Girl. I do read her blog most regularly of all these, and it's great. She might be a bit more into the pop end of music than I am, but I can always count on an enjoyable song download and a fun comment or two from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment