- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

CD of the Week: The Last Goodnight


THE LAST GOODNIGHT
"POISON KISS"
(Virgin, 2007)

It's happened a few times now ... I download a free single from iTunes and I think it's okay, and it pretty-much disappears into the depths of my music library without getting a second thought from me. Then, weeks later I happen upon the CD at the store and (just barely remembering that it was an album from which I'd downloaded a free song) I casually slip on the headphones at the listening station to sample a few tracks, not expecting much -- and I end up liking what I hear so much that I buy the CD. That's what happened with The Last Goodnight.

Aside from saying that these guys' sound is kind-of a cross between Maroon 5 and Supertramp, I don't really know how to describe them. Their lively and infectious blend of rock, funk and soul is kind-of like that pleasant sting you get from your toothpaste in the morning ... only this album is better, 'cause it holds that sensation for nearly all of its 42 minutes. Whether an affecting ballad ("Return To Me"), a mellow ditty ("Good Love") or an energetic rocker ("Push Me Away"), there's really not a dud amongst the dozen tracks, so steady is the flow of slyly hooky melodies and accessible but intelligent lyrics.

Lead singer Kurtis John's voice is not the kind I usually like (a bit more raspy and less smooth in the delivery than I care for), but for some reason it totally fits -- indeed, I suspect that I wouldn't have liked the album nearly as much if there were a different voice behind the mic. That kind of unpredictable and immeasurable appeal is a big part of what keeps music interesting to me; just when I start to get bored and jaded with all the junk out there, along comes a breath of fresh air like The Last Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment