- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, November 2, 2007

Song of the Week: Destination (Where I Belong)


"Destination (Where I Belong)"
Kalan Porter
from the album "Wake Up Living" (Sony BMG/Canada, 2007)

Thanks to a slightly weird week, capped off by a plumbing malfunction this evening here at home (wish us luck living without running water for the next day or so), I've had almost no time to think about what to post as the Song of the Week. So, thank goodness for Canadian popster Kalan Porter ... I just got his CD in the mail yesterday and am still on a bit of a high from it, and from this song in particular.

There's just something I love about that five-note melody that forms the foundation for the verses ... it soothes and relaxes me. And so does that lush, hearty voice of his ... it seems to totally make the song what it is. I do still have to fully "digest" the disc, but my first impression is definitely a good one. Kalan gets to exercise his songwriting skills, taking first credit in most of the tracks. I have a feeling this song will be my favorite of the album -- or at least it'll be tied with "Hurray" (but only because that one features Kalan's violin playing and this one doesn't). Well done, Kalan ... no "sophomore slump" here!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! thnairg,

    I definitely love this song "Destination"! It was just released as the 2nd single of this "Wake Up Living" album. I LOVE this album!!!!!!!!!!

    Anyway, the video for "Destination" will be out next week or so. Check it out at his official site --- www.kalanporter.com. He also has his myspace page with 3 songs posted --- www.myspace.com/kalanporter.

    His first single "Down In Heaven" is still topping the chart and this video is my favourite, showing Kalan skydiving --- http://youtube.com/watch?v=rSDw8iXj-PM

    And this is his "Hurray" video which was released online --- http://youtube.com/watch?v=SsJSyP--IhU

    This one is from his recent mini-5-day-tour, doing his violin intro with a recording box for The Verve's cover song "Bittersweet Symphony" --- http://youtube.com/watch?v=3uQet6SQcBo

    Kalan's debut album "219 days" has a double-platinum status and his single "Awake In a Dream" holds an eight-time platinum, the highest in the history of Canada! Check the album out if you haven't owned one yet. It's definitely very rock with some ballads too. Hope to hear you blog about the content of this long comment of mine.

    Thanks for this blog of yours about Kalan's "Destination"!

    ReplyDelete