- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Times They Are a'Changing

So, you're probably asking ... why "Tom's Music Continuum"? (Or maybe you're not asking, but I'll answer anyway.) Well, there are a couple of reasons. First, I realized a little while ago that music is not a finite series of neatly separated genres, as some of the more narrow-minded business types in the music industry might have us believe. Maybe we used to be able to define music as belonging to one genre or another, but that's become more difficult lately. Genres are blending together and crossing over like never before, and music really has become a continuum (defined by Merriam-Webster as "a coherent whole characterized as a collection, sequence, or progression of values or elements varying by minute degrees"). There's probably at least one album in my collection that could be tagged as belonging to just about each primary genre out there, at least as it might be described on the surface. But there's something about all of them that appeals to me on some basic level -- that level probably being that undefinable thing that makes music music.

But, enough of the deep philosophical/metaphysical stuff. The other reason for the blog's new name is the simple fact that I kind-of look at my CD collection as a "continuum" ... constantly evolving, with items I've lost interest in always being rotated out and new items of interest always being introduced in. Being a "Star Trek" fan, I chose the word "continuum" carefully, not only because of the Q Continuum (yes, that's what the "q" is doing in the URL ... but partly because I wanted to keep it short and easy to type too -- and also 'cause the first few URLs I tried to claim were already taken), but also because of a concept called "The Great Material Continuum", which is explained here ... kind-of a curious notion, fitting right in with the forementioned nature of my CD collection.

And, last but not least, I was kind-of getting tired of the whole "Thnairg" bit and wanted to start using a real name for a change. But anyway, I hope you like the new look and new title, but rest assured that you'll be getting the same kind of content you've come to expect from me in the past. Enjoy, and let the music play!

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I saw the new title and URL, I thought you had to have been thinking of Star Trek! Ha ha. I love the look of the place!

    ReplyDelete