- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Thursday, November 29, 2007

CD of the Week: Graham Colton


GRAHAM COLTON
"HERE RIGHT NOW"
(Universal Republic, 2007)

I first caught wind of The Graham Colton Band back in 2004, when I found out that Drew Nichols, formerly of the early '90s pop group PC Quest, was a member. On the strength of that fact alone (which gives you a clue of how low my resistance to buying CDs has been in the past), I decided to take a chance and buy their major-label debut, "Drive". I ended up enjoying their tuneful, hooky brand of Southern rock more than I expected to -- so much so that I was more than willing to pick up Graham Colton's new solo album when I spotted it on the horizon.

Mr. Colton has gone "solo" only inasmuch as he's dropped "The ... Band" from around his name; he's still backed by a full band, though it's not made up of the same members. He's also adjusted his sound from quasi-country-tinged prairie rock to more mainstream pop-rock. The album is a fine, even mix of ballads and upbeat rockers that just about anyone can enjoy. Lead single "Best Days" (a questionable choice, as it risks confusion with Matt White's album and song of the same name) is a sweeping, anthemic waltz; "Forget About You" is probably the most rocking track on the album, and an early favorite of mine (the lyric "I am useless, young and stupid, for thinking I'll get over you" has a meaning for me that I'll choose not to elaborate on at the moment, thank you); "Take You Back" another heartbreaker of a ballad; "Whatever Breaks My Heart" has a title that makes you expect to hear a ballad, but surprises you by being one of the most energetic and catchy tracks of all; and the steady pulse and dreamy echoing of "Let It Go" make it a perfect closing track.

He certainly didn't need them, but Graham Colton peppered this disc with guest artists: Rooney frontman Robert (Carmine) Schwartzman, power-popster Bleu McAuley, and singer Rachael Yamagata do backing vocal turns (hmmm ... another album featuring Rachael ... maybe that means I should check out her CD?), and Will Owsley plays guitar on one track. The album may not be completely perfect (a few of the lyrics here and there are not all that inventive), but all in all this is an enjoyable CD from a talented artist that I'll be keeping an eye on in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment