- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

CD of the Week: Kalan Porter


KALAN PORTER
"WAKE UP LIVING"
(Sony BMG/Canada, 2007)

I know, I know, I just posted a song from this album a few days ago ... but, like I said, things were kind-of going crazy at that moment, and I'd been chomping at the bit to get my hands on the album for weeks, so it was pretty-much destined to be a "CD of the Week" here. Hey, just be happy I didn't mention him at all in my latest podcast! Anyway, I must say that Canadian Idol Kalan Porter's second album (the first sophomore release from any Canadian Idol, by the way) was worth just about every minute of the wait.

On the surface, this album seems like nothing special -- your basic collection of radio-friendly pop songs. But dig deeper and you'll find a young musician stretching his creative talents. Having top songwriting credit on most of the tracks in this collection, Kalan delivers deeper lyrics (no doubt a by-product of the emotional journey that his mother's battle with cancer took him on) and finer melodies. But the highlight for me is that Kalan Porter voice ... probably because of the reason I've mentioned a couple of times before: the fact that such a rich, full voice bursts forth from such a waifish lad.

Nearly every track on the album is enjoyable, and there's plenty of variety in the tunes, so something's bound to please someone: the lofty, inspirational opener "Down In Heaven", the playfully cocky rocker "Hurray", the gorgeous waltz "Try" (worthy of Rufus Wainwright, and with a wall-of-sound feel that would make Phil Spector* proud), the darkly upbeat "Karma King", and the delicately beautiful ballad "One Last Try". Judging from Kalan Porter's artistic progression from his first album to his second, I think he's got a long career in music ahead of him, and I hope to see more albums from him in the future. I'll definitely be buying the next one!

*back when he was a talented record producer and not the psycho-looking, under-suspicion-of-murder dude he is now

3 comments:

  1. I'm Canadian, so I had the pleasure of watching Kalan's career since he was on the show and I must say you are right, this album shows SO much growth from the first one. This album is going to hold my interest to see what he does for his third one.

    If people don't know, Kalan wrote many of the songs on this CD about dealing with his mother's recent won battle with breast cancer.

    Anyone who take take something so tragic like that and turn it into a beautiful CD gets my kudos. He also took his classical training on the violin, arranging and playing all the strings you hear on the album.

    I hope everyone takes a listen to the CD if they can, Kalan is such a rising young talented. Canadian too :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also watched him from start to finish on Idol and became an staunch fan of Kalan's. I've been watching his career take off since then and managed to see him in 4 concerts. Its refreshing to go to a concert and hear an artist sound as amazing if not better then on their album! Kalan puts on a fantastic show, and I can't wait to see him again in the new year. Though his sophomore album took longer for its release then orginally scheduled, it was definately worth the wait. I also give him kudos for opening up his heart to the public after such a stressful time, and for giving us his feelings through beautiful lyrics and music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you Canadians (or would that be "Kalanadians", in this case?) ... you have some darn fine music up there that most Americans are never privy to (The Moffatts' masterpiece "Submodalities", Tal Bachman, Wave). It makes me want to "defect" from the U.S.A.! ;-)

    Thanks for the great comments!

    ReplyDelete