- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Idol Thoughts: The Top 3

A neat concept ... three songs for each contestant, one chosen by the judges (bound to be interesting choices), one by the producers (whatever), and one by the contestants themselves. Methinks that a night full of fun and excitement is in store!

David Archuleta -- Okay, why do I totally turn to jelly when this lad sings? Probably the same reason so many other people are under his spell, and why he's in the Top Three. A bang-up job with the Billy Joel song, indeed! "Idol" may technically be a singing competition, but in reality it can't be won without the whole package: not just the voice, but also the likability, the stage presence, the sheer drive to entertain one's audience ... the whole "aura", if you will, of the performer. David Archuleta is a prime example ... he's got bucketloads of what it takes to be a pop star, and it's going to take him very, very far. (Okay, now that I've gone way off on this Archuleta-worship diatribe, what am I going to write about during next week's finale?!?)

Hey, a Chris Brown song (and one co-written by Espen Lind!) ... something different for David ... excellent, but not his best, only because he seemed to hesitate in a couple of places ... almost enough to miss a lyric, but not quite. Still, though, as much as I totally love his way with a soft ballad, it's thoroughly wonderful to see him bust out of that routine and have fun every once in a while! (Hey, was that Gavin DeGraw in the audience cheering him on?) A Dan Fogelberg song is up next for David ... ooh yeah, that one! A pretty song, and I'll be darned if he didn't just make it prettier! I think it goes without saying that this boy is an absolute shoo-in for the finale.

Syesha Mercado -- Okay, far be it from me to be a pessimist, but we all know (barring a massive and unforeseen screw-up by one of the Davids) that Syesha will be voted out this week. Well, what a way to go ... she was fantastic with the Alicia Keys song, and showed us one possible genre she'd make a great album with!

Hmmm ... the classic torch-song "Fever", eh? A formidable song, but I have a feeling she'll do it justice ... and I was right! Gosh ... Paula giving unfavorable criticism and getting booed? We don't see that very often, and it was all the more unexpected with the one contestant you'd think she'd be totally rallying around. Needless to say, I agree totally with Randy. And now for Syesha's final song of the night ... she's going out on an up note, that's for sure ... a tiny bit off on a note or two, but very good for sure.

David Cook -- Roberta Flack?!? I guess if David Cook's going to get a challenge, this would be it ... and if anyone could pull it off, it'd be David. Let's see ... hot damn, he did it! Turning a Roberta Flack song into a tight power-ballad!! The guy's absolutely incredible ... and David Archuleta has something to worry about. Next week's contest is going to be absolutely impossible to call (again, as long as neither David figuratively shoots himself in the proverbial foot).

Aha, let's see which Switchfoot song he does ... I kind-of like them ... well, I wasn't feeling the verses (his voice wandered off a couple of the notes a bit), but he killed on the chorus! Good job. And last but not least for Mr. Cook is ... an Aerosmith power-ballad (and one written by another songwriter I like, Diane Warren)! Not exactly a stretch of a choice, frankly ... but the results were excellent, as usual!

The number I dialed: 1-866-436-5701

I think it's all but official ... next week it'll be David versus David. (Sorry, Syesha ... I'll at least have the decency to not post my "farewell" entry until after tomorrow night's results show.) Tune in tomorrow to prove me right.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with all (once again), but you must admit that Archuleta did completely flub those lyrics. :) And, of course, the judges made no mention of it.

    David-David finale it is. Syesha had a great run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your entry after I posted mine, and I have to sheepishly admit that I didn't catch the lyrical flub -- I honestly don't know the lyrics to the song very well (obviously). One has to admit that he recovered from it well (so well that I didn't catch it), and that is one mark of someone who has natural aptitude for performing -- unlike poor Jason's "la-la-la"-ing through his forgotten "Tambourine Man" lyrics last week!

    Like you, I do have to wonder why the judges swept his gaffe under the rug ... maybe they took the chance that it went unnoticed to most and they didn't want to make it seem like they were "sabotaging" anyone's chances so close to the end, plus there's the controversy with David's dad being kicked out of rehearsals and all ... maybe felt the kid had been through enough that week.

    I know, it sounds like I'm totally defending David A., but I can't help it. Syesha was your "darling", and David's mine. ;-)

    ReplyDelete