- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Michael Tolcher

MICHAEL TOLCHER
"I AM"
(Octone, 2004)


"Mission Responsible"


I oughta be keelhauled for not mentioning this CD before now, considering its standing as one of my Top 15* favorite albums of all time. But, the main reason I was avoiding blogging about it is that I reviewed it on Amazon back when it came out and have been concerned about copying myself between that review and this one. But, this is as good a selection as any to use as my first try at avoiding self-plagiarism.

I was so excited when I discovered that Michael Tolcher's song "Sooner Or Later" was chosen as the theme for the teen-angst TV drama "Life As We Know It" (out on DVD ... check it out if you never saw it), because I was sure that everyone would discover this beaut of an album and that he would be launched into the stratosphere of success. Unfortunately, the show was canceled halfway through its first season, and neither Tolcher nor this album got noticed, at least to anywhere near the degree that they so richly deserved to be.

Tolcher is from the American South (Georgia, specifically), and his voice sounds like it ... deep and gruff, but also smooth and soulful. His sound is a mix of equal parts John Mayer (brooding singer-songwriter), Jason Mraz (toe-tapping melodies and occasionally playful, clever lyrics), and Mat Kearney (a tiny bit of an urban/hip-hop influence). Every track, from the not-quite-preachy anthem "Mission Responsible" to the downright dance-inducing "No One Above" to the breezy "I Am" to the swaying "Miracle" to the contemplative closer "Waiting", is outstanding.

This is one of those kinds of albums where everything just fits -- it's comfortable, from the very first listen, like an old favorite sweater or pair of shoes. Albums like this come along about once every two years for me (and with the number I listen to, that's few and far between); only Take That's "Beautiful World" and Ferras' "Aliens & Rainbows" have since charmed me like this one did. Go check it out -- I only hope I haven't hyped it up beyond all reason, even though I personally think it deserves to be.

*It's probably in my Top 10, but I haven't tried ranking them in awhile, so I don't want to put myself in the position of being a liar when I do....

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I saw Michael open for Maroon 5 in a small club in Toronto back in 2003 and thought he was pretty good. Picked up his cd on a trip to New York and still have 'Sooner Or Later" on my iPod.

    Just checked his MySpace page, it appears he's moved out to L.A. to try and make album number two.

    Cheers,

    KulPop

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time you mentioned good ol' Michael Tolcher. :) I saw him in a concert (probably back in 2003) with Gavin Degraw and Matt Nathanson. Best 12 bucks I've spent in awhile!

    Michael wasn't so into his fans offstage but gave a great performance. The CD is definitely awesome sans track "Taxi Ride Kinda Night" (blah).

    I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that Tupac's mother was a big guiding force into his vocal training and "getting in" to the recording industry.

    I also heard he has run out of money and is trying to fund his next release. But, then again, what do I know? :)

    Gearing up to review Alanis and Gavin Rossdale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I never imagined Michael T. would bring on the comments like he did ... we've got ourselves a little Tolcher "love-fest" going on! I bet he's great in concert.

    For once I'm with you on the mediocre tracks, Random ... I'm not crazy about "Taxi Ride..." either. :-) As for Alanis and Gavin R., I don't have any plans to even buy their CDs ... but you never know.

    Hmmm ... all this buzz about Michael Tolcher ... but where's the love for "The Shat"? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think by saying "The Shat" you have hit it right on the head. Ha

    ReplyDelete