- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Idol Thoughts: The Top 4

Sigh ... there are only a precious four contestants left, and it's getting a bit scary. As Ryan said, anything can happen, and each contestant's fate can hinge on a single performance or choice of song. But on the bright side, I'm looking forward to what songs we might hear tonight, the theme of the show being "The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" ... there's definitely no shortage of fine songs to pick from. (As with last week, I've sorted my comments by performer.) On with the show...!

David Cook -- Uhmmm ... maybe it's the fact that I'm too much of a Duran Duran fan, or maybe it's the fact that I could barely hear the band (the sound mixers seem to have forgotten to bring them into the mix ... it almost sounded like David was singing a cappella), but I wasn't very impressed ... as Randy said, it was "just okay for me." ... And now for his take on The Who ... now THAT'S more like it, David! I was a bit concerned for him in round one, but now I know he's still in the running. Rock on, David Cook!!

Syesha Mercado -- Yeah! "Proud Mary" is one of those songs that I can't hate, regardless of who performs it ... and Syesha sizzled!! If there were only one performance from each contestant tonight, I'd be afraid for David Cook right now. ... And her second song wasn't too shabby either ... I think this has been Syesha's best night in weeks!! As it stands now (having yet to see Jason's second performance), I think we're gonna see her come back next week, and Jason will get shown the door. Oh my dear ... did Simon just agree with Paula?!?!?

Jason Castro -- Yes, it's all about song selection, and I'm not so sure about Jason doing Bob Marley. (Of course, I'm not a big reggae fan to begin with, so perhaps I'm being a bit unfair.) It also doesn't help that he was being rather breathy into the microphone. ... As for "Mr. Tambourine Man", I thought it was an improvement, but a small one -- and we simply can't ignore his flub over the lyrics (what kind of serious musician can forget a line like "in the jingle-jangle mornin'"?). I still like Jason, and I'll still probably buy his album, but let's stick the proverbial fork in him.

David Archuleta -- Yet another totally yummy performance by David! Needless to say, he did a much better job with "Stand By Me" than poor Josiah Leming did. As Simon said, an excellent song choice, but then what else is new with this kid? Like I said before, if each finalist were only singing once tonight, David Archuleta would be a lock (and maybe he is already...!). ... And still another one with his gorgeously smooth take on "Love Me Tender". I was worried about him taking on such an iconic Elvis song, but he really made it his own with that delicate piano-ballad rendition. It's unquestionably David Archuleta's night!

Who I think will be eliminated: Jason Castro ... as I said, I'd hate to see any of them go, but I'm pretty sure he'll be the one. I think Syesha will be the other one in the bottom two, but if she's eliminated this week I'll be disappointed.

Who I voted for: If you don't know by now, you simply weren't reading very carefully.

Let's all tune in tomorrow night...!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with it all. Although I am in love with Syesha and I do think she has had amazing weeks for a few weeks now, if she has to go, Top 4 ain't bad. That being said, Jason should go home tonight. My 489379847398749 votes for Syesha hopefully helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha-ha ... well, if I believed in voting more than once (no offense to those who do ... well, very little offense, anyway ... more on that in my planned "Idol wrap-up" entry), Syesha would have gotten my #2 vote. She was an early favorite amongst the ladies, then I got lukewarm on her, but now I'm rather liking her again.

    I dread that the teenybopper girls are going to vote their pants off for Jason (hey, Brooke screwed up a couple weeks ago and made it through to another week), but I guess we can't fight what's gonna happen tonight. And as you said, Syesha's come all this way and she should be more than proud!

    ReplyDelete