- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, May 2, 2008

Kurt Nilsen

KURT NILSEN
"PUSH PUSH"
(RCA/Norway, 2007)


"Still They Wait"


I could almost curse myself for once thinking that no good music ever came from the "Idol" shows. Of course, I still have yet to glom onto any of the American Idols, but that's sure to change now that I'm watching it intently this season. Also, there's the fact that Kurt Nilsen is from Norway, a country for whose taste in pop music I've gained a lot of appreciation lately. I like Erik Faber so much that, despite having been introduced to all three of his albums in just the past year, I'm already feverishly anticipating his next.

But thankfully, now I've got this gem of an album from Norwegian Idol (and World Idol) Kurt Nilsen to tide me over. While it reminds me quite a bit of Faber's more recent albums, it's also unmistakably Kurt Nilsen, with his rich baritone voice -- though not as distinctive as I remember it being on his debut -- radiating through the sophisticated lyrical and melodic arrangements. There's a perfect balance between energetic, upbeat tunes ("Push Push", "Tearing Me Up Inside") and soft, sweet ballads ("Every Once In a While", "Dance With Me"), with a couple of mid-tempo tracks thrown in as well.

I really liked his debut, "I" (partly because he covered both a Tal Bachman song and a Duran Duran song on it, a sure way to win me over), but he has shown tremendous growth with this album. I don't yet have Nilsen's sophomore album, "A Part Of Me", fearing it might be a little too acoustic/singer-songwritery, but the way this album has won me over is really making me consider picking it up ... and heck, maybe even his newest album, a country collection, too!

4 comments:

  1. May I ask how you got your copy of "Push Push"? North American stores do not stock it nor can they order it for you. Most disappointing... I fear I will have to go the Amazon route.

    I was able to order "A Part of Me", however, and I am in an absolute fever for it to arrive! Having heard some of the songs from that album on youtube, I know it will be an album I will play and replay for a loooooong time. "On The Road" and "For You" are staggeringly beautiful--Kurt's voice brings an ache to my heart. I hope you decide to give it a try yourself, but if not--everyone has their own musical taste, eh?

    Cheers!

    Nia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nia,

    I actually was able to get my local independent store to special-order it for me ... strange that yours couldn't. You may have to go through Amazon, I guess. It is worth it, though. And thanks for the recommendation of "A Part Of Me" ... I never thought to check out some of the singles by way of YouTube ... I've gotta do that!

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should check out his last album "Rise to the occasion" - its fantastic - up there with "A part of me". You can check out all the songs on Youtube :)

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone that fell for his voice on World Idol I highly recommend all of his cds. We all have our faves from his albums one of mine is "Sue Me" ( a kind of tongue in cheek kind of sounding song to me) others are "Push Push" and "Silence" and always his version of "Beautiful Day" found on his "I" international version. Of course there are others but those are some of my picks. There are various sites you can find Kurt's cds on some are www.ebay.com www.zailor.no www.amazon.com and there are others. The second one is an overseas company and you'd most likely need a translator to navigate it. :D Any problems go to Kurt's unofficial fan ran site at www.kurtnilsenmedia.com and someone there can help you out. I hope you try out all his albums and lets continue 'Kurtverting' folks. Oh and check out his album "Hallelujah Live" with Espen Lind, Askil Holm and Alejandro Fuentes. They sing covers of a lot of artists with a few of their own songs included as well as a small bonus at the end of Kurt singing in Norwegian. :)

    ReplyDelete