- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

American Idol 2010 -- The Top 7

So, the theme this week is "inspirational songs" ... sigh. Why is this season seeming particularly laborious to get through? Maybe it's because of the less-impressive (overall) lot of competitors this time around. I mean, sure, there are the good ones like there always are ... but I'd be hard-pressed to call any of them "great". Whose albums do I know I'll be buying? Definitely Siobhan, probably Big Mike and Aaron, and maybe Lee and Crystal. I'm not totally sure I'd rank them as my favorite contestants in that order, though ... it probably doesn't sound like it makes sense, but it does to me in a way. (Why not Crystal? She's a great singer, but she doesn't have the kind of voice whose records I'd really want to buy.) Anyway, here come the Top Seven....

Casey ("Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac) -- Very good, though it sounded like he was having trouble finding the key at first. Good guitar playing, yes, but I get the impression he uses it as a crutch a little too much. Maybe that's why he's not a favorite of mine.

Lee ("The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel) -- Excellent! I can tell that this was a heartfelt performance from him, and I agree with Simon -- he made it sound like it could be a current single. This guy just keeps getting better by the week!

Tim ("Better Days" by Goo Goo Dolls) -- Typically barely-okay Tim ... I honestly don't know why he's still in the competition. Well, yes, I do know why, and unfortunately it has nothing to do with his singing. This was a resoundingly underwhelming performance.

Aaron ("I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly) -- Fantastic! It was a big song, and he pulled it off! This pair of performances right here proves why I'll be highly pissed if Aaron (hell, really anyone else) is voted off the show before Tim ... and why I'd probably pick up an Aaron album.

Siobhan ("When You Believe" by Mariah Carey & Whitney Houston) -- Gorgeous ... her best yet!! Speaking of buying albums, this shows why Siobhan's on my must list! Any record label that passes on her, no matter where she finishes in the competition, is a pack of damn fools!

Michael ("Hero" by Chad Kroeger) -- Hmmm ... I'm not crazy about the choice of song, quite frankly, but whatever Big Mike sings he sings pretty darn well. I can't help feeling a bit disappointed, though ... and that's a first with Michael. I just hope it doesn't cost him the competition.

Crystal ("People Get Ready" by The Impressions) -- Hmmm ... maybe I should rethink not buying her CD. This is a different side of Crystal, and I like what I'm seeing! I wondered why she broke at the end of the song, but then I realized that her dad's presence explained it all. A beautiful performance!

My most favorite performances of the night: Siobhan, Lee, and Crystal.

My least favorite performances of the night: Tim, Casey, and -- it pains me to say it -- Michael.

Who I think should be eliminated: Tim.

Who I think will be eliminated: Michael -- yes, I think the viewers will be that stupid -- but it'd better be Tim.

No comments:

Post a Comment