- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

American Idol 2010 -- The Top 9 (Again)

As much as I love Adam Lambert, I have a bit of trouble seeing him as a "mentor", considering he was a complete unknown just a little over a year ago. But, whatever. Oh, and I simply sat here shaking my head just now when I heard where they were sending the Top 9 for Elvis Week. Was it Graceland? Oh, heck no ... it was Vegas. Okay, maybe Vegas is the second city one would associate with Elvis after Graceland (yes, I know Graceland isn't a city, but you know what I mean), but then came the kicker: "Cirque du Soleil style"! Huh?!? Oh yeah, when I think Elvis, I think Cirque du Soleil. Sigh ... again, I say "whatever". I think we'd be better off just getting to the performances....

Crystal ("Saved") -- What can I say about Crystal that hasn't already been said? Yet again, she dazzles us! Elvis is pretty much right up her alley, just like Janis Joplin would be ... Randy made an accurate observation when he compared her to Bonnie Raitt. Brava, Crystal!

Andrew ("Hound Dog") -- Hmmm ... the trouble with doing such a signature song is the inevitable comparison to the original. How much do you dare risk to change it up? I wasn't so sure about this one ... something felt off. Kara's thoughts were closest to what I was feeling.

Tim ("Can't Help Falling In Love") -- Okay, so why didn't he go with the falsetto ending that Adam encouraged him to do? That disappoints me. I thought it was pretty good ... not as wonderful as the judges seemed to gush, though ... could just be that it's such an overused song.

Lee ("A Little Less Conversation") -- Awright!! In my eyes, the one who's most improved over the last few weeks is definitely Lee ... I seem to be liking him more and more each week. This may very well be his best performance yet ... I almost love him now, and that's saying a lot!!

Aaron ("Blue Suede Shoes") -- Oh, I was so worried when I saw that this was his song choice, especially because two contestants are getting the boot this week. But I loved it, especially when he slowed it down near the end!! Has he earned enough votes to carry him forward? I hope so!

Siobhan ("Suspicious Minds") -- Possibly my favorite Elvis song ... and definitely my favorite performance of the night!! I've been loving Siobhan for awhile now, and tonight I love her even more. I have no idea what Simon and Kara were hearing to make them give comments like that....

Michael ("In The Ghetto") -- I shook my head for most of the last seven days, wondering how he could have gotten the fewest votes last week, and even more so after a beautifully tender performance like this. If he gets kicked this week, I will question America's sanity.

Katie ("Baby, What You Want Me To Do") -- It was a really good performance ... but when I think about it, is there anything that really makes her memorable? I'm just afraid that, when the results come tomorrow night, she'll fall through the cracks ... and sorry to say, I don't think I'd miss her very much.

Casey ("Lawdy Miss Clawdy") -- Hmmm ... it was good, but I can't think of anything that made it great. Good vocals, good guitar playing ... but Simon's comments pretty much said it for me.

My most favorite performances of the night: Siobhan, Lee, and Michael.

My least favorite performances of the night: Andrew, Tim, and Katie.

Who I think should be eliminated: Katie and Tim.

Who I think will be eliminated: Katie and Andrew.

Final thought: Ryan was a little crazy tonight, wasn't he? Picking on his mom, complimenting Adam on his "talented tongue" (do tell, Ryan!!), and even a Brian Dunkleman joke thrown in for good measure. What would the show be without you, Ryan?

No comments:

Post a Comment