- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

American Idol 2010 - The Final Conflict!

This is it, blah blah blah ... the final showdown, yadda yadda ... not that I'm not at least a little excited. Although, frankly, I really don't care who wins this season, 'cause I've come to like them both quite a lot. I'm sure it could go either way, really, probably more so than last year, though maybe not quite as much as Season 7. One thing's for sure, though: I'm imposing a moratorium on my web browsing tomorrow night, 'cause as you might recall I inadvertently found out the winner last year a couple of hours before he was announced ... though I was kind-of asking for it, having gone to Wikipedia's Idol Series Winners page. (You'd think that Wikipedia would block updates on time-sensitive stuff like this until after all U.S. time zones have viewed the program ... but, whatever.) Anyway, in a USA Today article I read this afternoon, the writer said that although who'd win it is very much up in the air, who'd stand to have more to gain from a win was without question: Lee, because Crystal's already got that "built-in" audience who will buy her albums regardless, kind of like Adam was good to go no matter whether he won or not. So anyway, now that the first commercial break is done with and we're finally getting on with the show, here we go.

Lee ("The Boxer" by Simon & Garfunkel) -- A repeat performance, and far as I can recall it was better than the last time he sang it. I wonder, are the contestants encouraged or even required to do repeat performances in the finale? If not, I'm puzzled as to why they do so. Why not give them something new to sing? But anyway, I agree with the judges ... good, but he needs to bring more passion than that in the finale.

Crystal ("Me and Bobby McGee" by Roger Miller) -- Yay! This is why Crystal is in the final round! I've said before that I probably wasn't going to buy her album, but I've been reconsidering lately ... and if she keeps bringing the performances tonight like this here, then I'm sold for sure. It looks like round one goes to Crystal!

Lee ("Everybody Hurts" by R.E.M.) -- Definitely better than round one, and I wonder why he hasn't done that song before ... seems right up his alley in my opinion. I'm not sure about the choir (one or two backing singers is one thing, but I always balk a bit at the presence of a whole chorus), but I liked his performance ... not perfect, but more than good enough for me. But will it be good enough for the voters...?

Crystal ("Black Velvet" by Alannah Myles) -- Hmmm ... I don't know about y'all, but it felt to me like she got a little carried away in places, and sort-of got lost in the arrangement. She gave it her all, but there's something to be said for holding back a bit. On the other hand, she does seem to be showing a lot more passion in her performances than Lee.... Compare her passion to Lee's artistry, and I'd have to call this round a draw.

Lee ("Beautiful Day" by U2) -- Interesting that the artists' prospective singles aren't original songs ... maybe it has to do with the bad reviews they got of last year's winner's song. Anyway ... hmmm ... a good performance -- and I like the song, both the original and Norwegian/World Idol Kurt Nilsen's cover of it, but for some reason Lee just doesn't seem to be giving his performances nearly the energy that Crystal is. Still, though, a good performance for what it is, and he deserves to be here in the finale tonight.

Crystal ("Up To The Mountain" by Patty Griffin) -- Wow ... just, wow! Far as I'm concerned, we're looking at the American Idol right here. Strictly in terms of stage presence and quality of performance (I guess that kind-of takes care of most aspects, doesn't it?), Crystal absolutely takes the competition tonight. But then, I thought Adam did last year, so who knows what's gonna happen, right?

HEY! It's Will Young!! Right there on stage, on American TV!! Yes, I knew it was his song we were hearing each week as contestants left, but I didn't think we'd see him on the show! And he's got an album coming out here in America! It's about damn time, 'cause he's had four freakin' albums in the UK, which are all really good! ...What the heck? It's just eight tracks? Can't they be bothered to put more songs on the damn disc, especially since it's essentially a "greatest hits"? Sheesh, that's the American record companies for you ... stingy bastards. But I digress....

Who do I think is gonna win it? As I said, it really could go either way, and I'm definitely staying offline tomorrow night (look for my reaction post sometime Wednesday). Who should win it is definitely Crystal, but I have a feeling the votes for Lee will be overpowering. I really would like to see a woman win it for the first time in three years, though. But then, Lee would benefit more from the notoriety of the title. Yeah, I think it'll go to Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment