- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

American Idol 2010 -- The Top 5

Enough of the newcomers like Adam Lambert and the young 'uns like Miley Cyrus ... now we're talking a mentor: Harry Connick, Jr.! And the theme is "songs of Frank Sinatra". This doesn't bode well for Casey, if you ask me ... but then I'm also worried about how some (well, actually, most) of the others will do this week. Let's see how things go....

Oh, interesting ... I didn't realize that Connick had ever scored a movie, let alone "When Harry Met Sally". And I also didn't know that it's only been about 12 years since Sinatra died. Funny....

Aaron ("Fly Me To The Moon") -- Very nice! He should have gotten off that "country-ish" pose -- the leaning on a straight leg while bouncing on a bended leg thing -- that he usually takes on the stage, and his vocal was a tiny bit shaky at the very beginning, but otherwise a really nice showing. Oh, and I like his hair like that, too...!

Casey ("Blue Skies") -- See? Told ya. I was totally unimpressed with this one ... more than a few off-key notes. Why are y'all booing so much at the judges? Can't you see that they're telling the truth? Sorry, Casey, I wasn't feeling it at all. But I've got a terrible feeling he'll be back next week anyway.

Crystal ("Summer Wind") -- Wow, I liked it more than I thought I would! We've seen her rock enough (maybe a little too much), so it's always refreshing to see the softer side of 'Sox. (Hey, I just made that up!) Very nicely done, I thought, and I can't imagine that she's in any danger of getting the boot this week.

Michael ("The Way You Look Tonight") -- Fantastic! It's one of my favorite old standards, and Big Mike did it justice ten times over!! Of all the Top Five, I had the most faith in him that he'd do well in Sinatra week, and my faith was well-placed. Bravo, Michael!!

Lee ("That's Life") -- Hmmm ... I wasn't a big fan of the arrangement -- it seemed a bit awkward in places and made it sound like Lee was off-tempo -- but I loved his vocals, and that's what the competition is all about! I was particularly afraid for him this week, but he just buried those fears!

My most favorite performances of the night: Michael and Lee.

My least favorite performances of the night: Casey and Aaron (hey, there were just three others to choose from, y'know).

Who I think should be eliminated: Casey.

Who I think will be eliminated: Aaron ... perish the thought ... I mean it, please perish the thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment