- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

American Idol 2010 - The Top 3

I might be repeating myself here, but if Casey doesn't go home this week I'll be miffed. I'm rather surprised he's gotten this far, quite frankly. I don't have anything against him personally ... I just think that as an artist he's rather boring and hasn't really evolved much at all, at least not nearly as much as the others. But he does have two chances to sway me instead of just one, so you never know what's going to happen. Here goes....

Contestants' choice:

Casey ("OK, It's Alright With Me" by Eric Hutchinson) -- I like the song choice, and except for a bum note or two, he sang it competently. The trouble is, competent isn't good enough ... like Ellen said, tonight is the night that the contestants need to bring it, and Casey didn't ... yet. And sorry, Kara, but your comment that he should have sung a more popular song is crap.

Crystal ("Come To My Window" by Melissa Etheridge) -- Hmmm ... again, a great song choice ... but maybe I was expecting too much from her performance. If anything had been learned from Casey's feedback, Crystal should have rocked the stage more. The harmonica arrangement was a bit iffy, too ... but I love Crystal just as much as I ever have.

Lee ("Simple Man" by Lynyrd Skynyrd) -- He changed it up with an unconventional song choice, which I like ... but strictly in terms of singing on key I have to say he wasn't all that great. Performance-wise, though, he pretty-much made up for it, just like the judges said. And hey, when Simon gives you a positive critique, you know you did something right.

And those silly twits who scream "WE LOVE YOU, LEE!!" need to just flat-out shut the hell up. No, girls, you don't "love" Lee, one of the many reasons being that you friggin' interrupt him while he's trying to speak. Seriously, the ushers in that auditorium need to be armed with gags to muffle these goofy little twerps' mouths. Sigh ... yet another reason I'll be happy to let go of "Idol" after next week.

Judges' choice:

Casey ("Daughters" by John Mayer) -- Hey, I just heard this song this evening! Fancy that! As for Casey ... it was pretty good, I'll give him that ... though it almost felt like he was trying to do a John Mayer impersonation. I have to say, this was almost too obvious a song choice, especially since Kara all but admitted that it was specifically for his target audience: the ladies.

Crystal ("Maybe I'm Amazed" by Paul McCartney) -- Well, the song choice earns points with me, 'cause I've always liked that song. And boy, did she nail it!! Even though I'd be more inclined to buy Lee's album than Crystal's, I've still kind-of been hoping that she'll win, even if it's just because it's been three years since a woman has been crowned Idol ... and I think she's just gone a step closer to putting it in the bag!

Lee ("Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen) -- Why did Simon choose one of the most over-done "Idol" songs for Lee? Maybe to see if he could make it memorable, that'd be my only guess. The result: he did! I think they might have gone a bit over-the-top with the choir at the end of the song, though, but otherwise it was fantastic! That pretty-much puts the nail in Casey's proverbial coffin.

Who I think should and will be eliminated: Like I need to say it? Buh-bye, Casey.

No comments:

Post a Comment