- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Monday, April 7, 2008

Ferras

FERRAS
"ALIENS & RAINBOWS"
(Capitol, 2008)


"Something About You"


Although I watch "American Idol", I frankly don't remember "Hollywood's Not America" making any particular impression on me, to say nothing of even knowing who was singing it. I first caught wind of Ferras from Chart Rigger, after which I called up audio clips of the songs. What I heard sounded promising, so I made myself a mental note to pick up the CD on its release date. Little did I know how much, or how quickly, I'd turn out to love it!

I'll try not to mention every single song as a highlight, but it'll be hard not to. The title track reminds me of the best of classic '70s Elton John ... "Everybody Bleeds The Same" has a bit of a Coldplay feel with its sleek, cityscape-at-night sound ... "Soul Rock" is aptly named, with a wonderfully soulful sway ... "Don't Give Up" kind-of reminds me of U2 ... and I've really gotten to like "Dear God" because it basically sums up my view of religion perfectly. The upbeat tracks are outstanding, but I'm tempted to say that Ferras shines better on the ballads, especially the pretty closing track, "Take My Lips".

At the risk of heaping on too much praise, I'm all but forced to agree with D'luv in declaring this "the first great pop album of 2008". I've been a faithful "Entertainment Weekly" subscriber ever since it began publication, but I have to say screw them for giving this gem of an album a C- review! It's probably my favorite album of the year so far ... good thing I didn't get clued in on how good it was until just before its release, otherwise I'd have been climbing the walls waiting for it! And now that we don't have to wait any more, it's time for those of you who haven't run out and bought it yet to do so ... like, now!

1 comment:

  1. YES! Oh, it's so fantastic to read this review--I couldn't agree with you more. I LOVE it SO much that I'm not sure I could ever write a review that wasn't "this track is amazing, and this track is amazing, and this track is amazing" until I'd listed off every track on the album ;)

    I'm so glad D'luv featured it. I can't imagine my musical year without this album.

    ReplyDelete