- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Idol Thoughts: The Top 5

Well, I guess we're down to the final month of "Idol", aren't we? Just five hopefuls remain, and they're dropping like flies. But there's a bright side: it's Neil Diamond Week!! Well, okay, maybe that's not necessarily a "bright side". But anyway, I just heard Ryan say that each contestant will be singing two songs tonight (and, presumably, every week from here on out) ... now that really is a bright side! I think I'll sort my comments by performer, because I assume they'll not each sing their two songs in a row. Anyway, let's get going....

Jason Castro -- He's sweet, he's charming, and so was his performance of "Forever In Blue Jeans" ... uniquely Jason Castro. And it's also why I'll be buying his album as soon as he puts one out. ... "September Morn" was pretty good, but not outstanding for a Jason performance ... his voice was rather shaky in places.

David Cook -- Well, if anyone can rock a Neil Diamond song, it's David Cook ... and he did it! Hmmm ... I think it might be tough picking someone to vote for tonight! ... His second song was pretty darn good, too ... I'll be shocked if it doesn't come down to the two Davids this year.

Brooke White -- "I'm a Believer" is probably my favorite Neil Diamond composition, and ... I have to say, I thought it was pretty good, but not excellent. She should have chosen a bit of a higher key, 'cause she had trouble hitting the notes in the verses. ... She did better with "I Am, I Said" ... she definitely has an appeal all her own ... still in the running, perhaps.

David Archuleta -- I've been waiting for my boy do to another upbeat song (enough with the slow somber stuff, already, David!) ... and I loved it!! I'm not entirely sure it was his strongest performance (maybe his voice does shine more on the ballads), but I'm lovin' this kid more with every week! ... I've always thought "America" was a rather cheesy song, and I cringe a bit at the fact that he chose it, but he did the best he could with it. I hate to sound repetitive, but guess who's probably getting my vote again this week?!

Syesha Mercado -- Very well done, but not extraordinary. I guess the only way to say it is that the two ladies are the contestants I'm least excited about, quite frankly. ... Her take on "Thank The Lord For The Nighttime" was much better ... maybe she's still in the running, too.

Miscellaneous thoughts: Is Paula on drugs, thinking that Jason had sung two songs halfway through the show? Good thing she's not voting. ... Doesn't that one violinist look like Neil Young? ... What is it with the girls waving their upraised arms from side to side during EVERY slow song? They just do it like mindless drones.

Who I think will be eliminated: Brooke White. Each of the contestants had good performances, but I have a feeling she was the least impressive. (But then, how many times have I predicted Brooke's exit...?)

Who else I think will be in the bottom two: Syesha Mercado. I think it's pretty clear by now that the guys are the darlings of the competition this year.

Who I voted for: Take a wild freakin' guess (as if it were even a "guess", right?).

As one reader here pointed out last week, anyone could be let go from here on, so it's sure to be an exciting few weeks. Are you ready for the results tomorrow night? I'm almost afraid to watch...!

2 comments:

  1. We all knew it was Brooke's time to go. I am sad I will have to say good bye to my girl Syesha next week.

    I love the blog. Kinda like the format of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, Random. Just took a peek at your blog, and I dig it. I can't wait to hear Gavin's new one myself!

    ReplyDelete