- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Friday, April 4, 2008

Landon Pigg

LANDON PIGG
"LP"
(RCA, 2006)


"Magnetism"


I've wanted to review this album for awhile, but have had trouble deciding what exactly I'd say about it. It's not that I don't like it enough -- quite the contrary. I guess it's just one of those albums that I like, but can't put my finger on why. Landon Pigg is, quite simply, a guy who has a knack for making excellent singer/songwriter pop songs.

Like Jason Mraz, he has a way with clever lyrics ... when referring to perfectionists putting their best foot forward, he surmises that "they're rather easy to detect; they'll be the only ones hopping down the streets". And like Gavin DeGraw and other contemporaries, he also seems able to create one hummable melody after another. The result is an enjoyable and even mix of upbeat tunes and ballads, from beginning to end.

I'd really like to know why Landon Pigg hasn't become as popular as DeGraw or Mraz. He really deserves to be, based on his musical talents ... and considering his Calvin Klein model-caliber good looks that grace the album cover, it's kind-of baffling why he's not. I'm just hoping that we get to see a second album from him like we've gotten from each of those other guys*.

(*or "we'll get", next month, in the case of DeGraw)

No comments:

Post a Comment