- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Idol Thoughts: The Top 9

As soon as I found out it was "Dolly Parton Night" (which was about an hour before airtime, incidentally), I've been dreading a rendition of "9 to 5". Not that it's a bad song, it's just kind-of cliché, so I hope whoever sings it (if anyone) does something fresh with it. I'm also hesitating about how well the male singers will be able to pull off songs by Dolly. Of course, I don't know much about her discography to begin with, so I should probably just shut my yap and watch....

Brooke White -- Pretty good, I must say ... a bluegrass/country hybrid, probably keeping faithful to the original (don't know it, so I can't be sure). Good way to kick off the show ... I liked it!

David Cook -- Okay, now I'm getting a little worried. For the first time, I think someone is in the position to kick David Archuleta not only out of the Top Two (which, to this point, I've been certain he's a shoo-in for), but out of my personal #1 spot! No other way to say it, but that this guy is damn good!!

Ramiele Malubay -- Not bad ... but she kind-of left me not feeling much of anything, frankly. I'm not sure what it was ... the song itself was okay ... but her voice missed its target here and there. To my horror, I find myself agreeing with Simon. (At least Paula didn't have the lack of praise that she usually disguises with her dreaded "You look beautiful!" comment.)

Jason Castro -- Wow! Dolly was right ... that song is a perfect fit for him! He seemed so comfortable singing it ... perhaps his best performance yet, and probably the best of the night so far. And just as quickly as I find myself agreeing with Simon a few minutes ago, I couldn't disagree with him more regarding Jason.

Carly Smithson -- Beautiful! Possibly her best showing yet ... definitely her best in the last few weeks. Sheesh ... Paula is getting ready to pick serious fights with both Simon and Randy, isn't she?!?!

David Archuleta -- Oh my goodness ... what a finish!!! That's the most soaring finale I've heard, I think, since the Top 16 began! The girls are screaming their heads off for him, and for damn good reason! Gee, guess who's getting my vote this week...? (Unless someone better comes along ... fat chance!)

Kristy Lee Cook -- Well, will this be Kristy Lee's swan song? I've been expecting her to be voted off for the last few weeks now (not that I'm a pessimist, 'cause I'm not). I can't say I'm any more impressed with her this week, to be honest ... she's decent, but "decent" won't win her the title of American Idol.

Syesha Mercado -- Hmmm ... in a way, it's too bad she chose this song, 'cause even all these years after "The Bodyguard" I'm still a little sick of it ... but she did as best as she could without trying something new with it ... which is a bit of a problem. Yeah, I found it just a bit boring.

Michael Johns -- I was almost ready to give up on Michael, and here he comes, bringin' on the blues big-time ... another contestant who I'd have to say has delivered his best performance in weeks! Could the bottom three be made up of all ladies this time...?

Who I think ought to be in the bottom three: Ramiele Malubay, Kristy Lee Cook, and Syesha Mercado

Who I think will be in the bottom three: Ramiele Malubay, Kristy Lee Cook, and Syesha Mercado. Try as I might to imagine one of the guys in the bottom three, I just don't see it happening.

Who I voted for: Like, duh ... David Archuleta!

Well, I'm glad we dodged the bullet with regard to any of the contestants trying to sing "9 to 5" ... obviously someone decided that was too much Dolly's signature tune to dare attempt it. Good for them. So, I guess we'll find out how right (or wrong?) my predictions are tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment