- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol 2009 - The Top 10

I still hate that new "disembodied-deep-voice-roll-calling-the-judges" intro they've got going for the performance shows. So anyway, I hear it's Motown week ... fine by me, as I pretty-much never get tired of listening to Motown. By complete coincidence, just today I was listening to Michael McDonald's fantastic -- and Grammy-nominated -- "Motown" album. But anyway, I finally checked the male-to-female ratio today for the first time, and strictly judging from the odds as they stand now, we may be looking at the second male "Idol" winner in a row for the first time, seeing as it's seven guys competing against three ladies. But then, there's still nine weeks to go in the competition. Speaking of which, it's about to get started.

[I won't bother listing the original artists of the songs, since it's kind-of meaningless with Motown.]

Matt ["Let's Get It On"] -- This guy's soulful voice will probably work very much in his favor this week ... and it definitely did! It took him a moment to get into his groove here, but what a way to start the show! I'm starting to like this guy more and more, and I think Randy's right that he'll end up as one of the last few standing.

Kris ["How Sweet It Is"] -- How sweet it is, indeed! Is it just me, or have both of the guys so far tonight really taken these classic songs and made them sound modern? Doing it with his guitar definitely helped. I tell ya, if the rest of the show is this good, the voters are going to have a helluva time deciding -- and it'll make the elimination show tomorrow night all the more difficult to watch.

Scott ["You Can't Hurry Love"] -- Hmmm ... I have to wonder how this is going to go over, especially on a piano ... well, it was better than I expected, I must admit, but I pretty-much agree with Kara and Randy: it was good, but not quite "there". Of course, how good can he possibly be after the magic that Matt and Kris delivered?

Oh, I am so loving the bickering between Simon and Paula right now! On one hand, I am totally with Simon wanting Paula to "answer the question ... answer the question", but then Paula whipping out the coloring book and crayons for the "child" next to her is positively priceless!!

Megan ["For Once In My Life"] -- I'm not sure what it is about her that bothers me ... maybe it's that she seems to be "thinking" too much as she sings ... she doesn't seem comfortable on the stage. Kara said something that made sense: "You weren't dominating the song; the song was dominating you." Song choice may have been part of it -- I think she'd have done far better with "My Guy", as Kara and Randy suggested. I dunno ... it's starting to look like we might be seeing yet another lady departing the competition this week.

Anoop ["Ooh, Baby, Baby"] -- The guys seem so much stronger than the ladies this year, and this is a perfect example. Anoop made this song shine as beautifully as it must have been back when it was first performed. Gorgeous!

Michael ["Ain't Too Proud To Beg"] -- Definitely a good song choice for the big guy, and he did a fine job ... though I'd have to say this: as much as I like Michael, I've thought for a couple of weeks now that either he or Scott will be the next male contestant to be eliminated, and this performance basically didn't change that prediction.

Lil ["Love Is Like a (Heatwave)"] -- Excellent ... I think that she and Allison will be the last two ladies standing (not a huge prediction, as Megan is the only other lady in the competition, and she's pretty-much the weakest). I do agree, though, that the song was a bit rushed, and Lil is too good a singer to rush through a song, so that particular choice of song didn't suit her best.

Adam ["Tracks Of My Tears"] -- I'm just about speechless right now. When it's enough to bring the songwriter himself, Smokey Robinson, to give a standing ovation, you know that it was the best peformance of the night! He took that song and made it his own with a gorgeously tender performance. And while we're on the subject of gorgeous, he superbly gussied up his look to go as perfectly with the song as his voice and arrangement! Okay, maybe I'm not so "speechless" after all.

Danny ["Get Ready"] -- As I've probably said before, I've thought for awhile now that Danny is going to be one of the last contestants standing, and I still think so! This may not have been his best performance, but his performances are usually better than half the other contestants. Not to worry; he'll be back next week.

Allison ["Papa Was a Rolling Stone"] -- Damn ... that girl just plain ROCKS! Definitely the hottest female performance of the night! If she ends up in the bottom three, I'll be like Kara and seriously wondering what the hell the viewers were thinking.

Who I think will be eliminated: Megan.

Who I think should be eliminated: Michael.

We'll find out tomorrow, and it may be a tough show to watch....

No comments:

Post a Comment