- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

American Idol 2009 - The Top 36, Round 3

Well, here's the last dozen of the semi-finalists up for the last three (or four?) spots in the finals. The one I'm most curious about (note that I didn't say "my favorite") is Nathaniel Marshall ... and I think I have a bit of a soft spot for Jorge Nuñez. But anyway, here we go....

Von Smith ["You're All I Need to Get By" by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell] -- Hey! Well, it's a no-brainer to say that this one performance was better than two-thirds of last week's! The judges (except Simon, as is usually the case) took the words right out of my mouth.

Taylor Vaifanua ["If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys] -- Very good, but I can hear Simon now: "Nothing about you stands out; you're completely unmemorable." Of course, I'd put it more politely.... (Aha ... what'd I tell ya? There it was!)

Alex Wagner-Trugman ["I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" by Elton John] -- A nerd, maybe, but nerds can be quite likeable. Hmmm ... not sure about this one ... if he left out the "growls" and kept a more straightforward and even singing voice, I would have liked him more. Entertaining, definitely ... but his over-performing may sink him.

Arianna Afsar ["The Winner Takes It All" by Abba] -- Uh-oh ... I'm hearing missed notes all over the place. Poor girl ... adorable as all-get-out, but sad to say I don't think it'll end well for her.

Ju'not Joyner ["Hey There Delilah" by The Pain White T's] -- One of the better performances of the night, but something is keeping me from calling it the best. It felt like he was holding back a bit, and a couple of the notes were not quite on the mark. Good, but will it get him through to next week...?

Kristen McNamara ["Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman] -- Comes off to me as a bit of an airhead, but an interesting arrangement of a Tracy Chapman song, and she seems to be pulling it off. One of the better female performances of the night, in fact ... surprisingly impressive! (Curiously, Randy had the most unpopular comment this time.)

Nathaniel Marshall ["I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" by Meat Loaf] -- Drama queen he certainly is (and the emphasis is not on the word "drama") ... and he's trying a Meat Loaf song...? Well ... it wasn't the disaster I thought it would be ... he's got a good shot, I think. Interesting that they spent so much time on the feedback for him, not that I'm complaining.

Felicia Barton ["No One" by Alicia Keys] -- Oh yeah, the one that was called back to replace the one that was disqualified. She's got an excellent voice, but the performance wasn't perfect (a botched note here and there, but only a couple). She appears to be a crowd-pleaser, though. Maybe she'll pull through to the next round? Would be something if the one that was turned away at first actually went into the finals, wouldn't it? (This song and the one a little bit ago are making me think about picking up an Alicia Keys album, too....)

Scott MacIntyre ["Mandolin Rain" by Bruce Hornsby and the Range] -- Very good performance, but ... compelling and inspiring as he is, I've heard better tonight. Hate me if you will, but it felt like he wasn't giving his all tonight.

Kendall Beard ["This One's For The Girls" by Martina McBride] -- Hmmm ... much like whatzername (just kidding ... Taylor), I didn't see much of anything remarkable about her. She's good, sure, but not great.

Jorge Nuñez ["Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" by Elton John] -- The ladies love the Latin guys, so let's see how much of a splash he makes. Wow! That was excellent! My only complaint is that he chose a song that's often used ... but he was so good that it's easy to overlook. I just hope too many people didn't think his tears were fake.

Lil Rounds ["Be Without You" by Mary J. Blige] -- Excellent! I wonder ... do they deliberately pick the really good contestants as the last for each night, or is it random? I'd hate to think that the producers are manipulating the results in any way, but that's a subject for another post.

Who I think will make it to the Top 12: Lil Rounds, Scott Alexander, Felicia Barton, and Jorge Nuñez.

Who I think should make it to the Top 12: Jorge Nuñez, Lil Rounds, Kristen McNamara, and Nathaniel Marshall (I just wanna see where he might go from here).

It looks like tomorrow night is the results show, followed on Thursday by the wildcard round. I still don't know how many wildcards they're choosing ... does anyone?!?


On a side note: during the commercials, I managed to score a personal record high score on Bejeweled, quite possibly the most addictive game in the world ... I broke one million points!!! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment