- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol 2009 - The Top 11

It's "Country Week" ... wow. I don't have anything against country music, really ... I just don't have anything for it either. But it's "American Idol", so it should be interesting. I guess we're about to get started. (Seven minutes, and that's all I could figure out to say ... that's my "love" of country music for ya.)

Michael ["Ain't Goin' Down ('Til The Sun Comes Up)" by Garth Brooks] -- He's probably one of the contestants who's at the greatest advantage, being a Texas boy himself. And I've gotta say, I'm impressed that he's able to keep up with the machine-gun pace of the lyrics, pretty-much non-stop! His energy and the limberness of his vocals should earn him plenty of votes right off the bat.

Allison ["Blame It On Your Heart" by Patty Loveless] -- I'm really starting to like this girl ... she's got such a fantastic voice for a 16-year-old! And she did this song wonderfully well! I can see her making it into the top four or five and, even if not, getting a recording contract regardless. Great job!

Kris ["To Make You Feel My Love" by Bob Dylan] -- Very good, though I don't know if I was as much in love with his performance as the judges. (Maybe I'm just not big on ballads tonight.) He's in it for the long haul, though. (Maybe that's why I wasn't all that into it ... because I know there's a snowball's chance in hell that he'll be voted off.)

Lil ["Independence Day" by Martina McBride] -- Wow! That's quite possibly the best performance of the night so far! I've had a feeling that Lil ("Little"?) will go further in this competition than most of us expect her to, and her showing tonight definitely strengthens that feeling.

Adam ["Ring Of Fire" by Johnny Cash] -- Hmmm ... gotta give him points for originality, don't we? Beyond that, I'm not sure just what to say ... much as I've loved Adam since the Top 36, I think he went just a bit over-the-top tonight. But you know what? I'd rather see him turn a country song on its ear like this than to look like a real fish-out-of-water singing a country song straight.

Scott ["Wild Angels" by Martina McBride] -- Not bad at all. But I have to say that, of the performers so far tonight, I frankly think that Scott has the least impressive vocals. That's why I was ready for him to be voted off last week, and I'm still kind-of there with him this week. Hate me if you will....

Alexis ["Jolene" by Dolly Parton] -- Quite good ... although I sensed that she had a bit of trouble keeping with the tempo in a couple of spots. Not her best performance, but I think she's got a chance of staying in the running.

Danny ["Jesus, Take The Wheel" by Carrie Underwood] -- Excellent! Perhaps the best male performance of the night! I've felt for awhile now that he's gonna go the distance, and this is why ... the applause is still going, for pete's sake!

Anoop ["Always On My Mind" by Willie Nelson] -- Yes!! I knew Anoop would come back after his questionable performance during Michael Jackson week! This was perhaps his best performance yet, and definitely one of the best of the night! I can't imagine him not making it through to next week after a showing like this!

Megan ["Walkin' After Midnight" by Patsy Cline] -- Ah ... I had another comment written out until I found out that she's got the flu. So, seeing as how I couldn't even tell she was sick, I've gotta give her props for her performance ... not the best of the night, but she's got an excuse. Will it cost her a place in the Top Ten? We'll have to see....

Matt ["So Small" by Carrie Underwood] -- Good performance, but I wasn't totally crazy about the vocals. As far as Matt goes, I don't think it was one of his best nights. Quite interesting that the judges loved it so much more than me.

Who I think will be eliminated: Alexis.

Who I think should be eliminated: Scott.

You know, "pound for pound" I think I'm more attached to this year's crop of contestants than last year's. It's taking me longer -- at least it did tonight -- to pick the performances that least impressed me, and the performers who I'd be most willing to say goodbye to. This season may prove to be even better than last, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment