- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

American Idol 2009 - The Final Round

Wow, can't you just cut the excitement with a knife? Well, I'd just need a butter spreader, since Kris is here instead of Danny, but I'm looking forward to these next two nights. Okay, so what do we have? A "favorite performance" (presumably they re-do a song they did before), then a choice by creator Simon Fuller (uhh ... okay), and then of course the prospective "coronation song". It's gonna be a busy and nerve-wracking night for Mr. Allen and Mr. Lambert, for sure. Oh, and Kris ain't no dummy ... he's exercised the option to go second. But then, what's worse: letting Adam follow you, or following Adam? We shall see....

Adam ["Mad World"] -- This was one of his best performances, so let's see if he can recapture the magic. I think he performed it a little differently than he did the first time, but it's still giving me goosebumps! I think he's doing a smart thing: performing a ballad here, and no doubt he'll be rocking out later on, to show one last reminder of his versatility. Right on, Adam!!!

Kris ["Ain't No Sunshine"] -- Ooooh ... he too picked what was probably his best performance of the season ... pullin' out the ol' boxing gloves, aren't we, Kris?! This is making me re-think my somewhat curt commentary of him in recent weeks ... a sweet guy and, of course, an excellent singer ... I still just find him a bit "white-bread" is all ... kind-of ordinary, y'know. But that's neither here nor there ... he just gave us another excellent performance. As it stands now, it's a dead heat between these two guys.

Adam ["A Change Is Gonna Come"] -- Hmmm ... blues is not Adam's strongest suit, so let's hope he can make it work. Yeah, he's trying to rock it ... might have taken it just a bit too far in the middle there with his screeching (almost thought he was gonna make like a rooster). I hesitate to call it his best performance, as the ladies just did, but it was definitely proof positive that he belongs in the final showdown!

Kris ["What's Going On"] -- A big song ... let's see if he can pull it off. Hey ... he pretty-much did! I'm still not totally in love with him ... like I often to, I came away from it feeling just a little empty, like I'm missing something. It's that thing about Kris that, most all season long, I haven't completely put my finger on.

Adam ["No Boundaries"] -- Fantastic!! A very good song, too. I can't totally disagree with Randy that it might have been slightly "pitchy" on a note or two, but that didn't make me enjoy it any less. Adam is certainly finishing at the top of his game, whether or not he wins the title tomorrow night. Way to go!

Kris ["No Boundaries"] -- Oh boy ... is he trying to throw the competition? I'm hearing clunky notes left and right through that performance. Maybe the key was a little too high for him on that song, like the judges said (they'd be the ones to know that kind of stuff). I just hope it didn't hurt him too much, but I'd have to give this round to Adam.

Who I think will be crowned American Idol: Kris ... as far as the number of fans each of these guys has, it's a neck-and-neck race, but Kris has that "everyman" relatability, whereas Adam is a little larger than life and perhaps just a bit too polished. There's something about the underdog that makes him win every once in awhile, and I have a feeling this may be his time.

Who I think should be crowned American Idol: Adam ... because sometimes larger-than-life wins. (I could be wrong, but of these two singers, Adam is probably the one most people more clearly remember the morning after they've watched the show.) Last but not least is the fact that Adam has been, arguably, the most consistently outstanding performer of the two.

Let's prepare ourselves for the pathetically padded and exhaustively long two-hour results show tomorrow night!

2 comments:

  1. The song "No Boundaries" is horrible, they should all be embarrassed that it was used, it didn't suit either Adam or Kris. Kudos to Randy Jackson for being the only judge to actually critique the performance of that song while to other judges copped out. I look forward to hearing both Kris and Adam's cds, I pity the one that has to release "No Boundaries" as their first single, it is WEAK!

    I've said from the beginning of the Top 10 that Kris is going to win the season and I stand by that prediction today.

    Cheers,

    KulPop

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete