- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

American Idol 2009 - The Top 3

I can't believe how quickly we've come down to the Top Three already! (And this is the 300th episode of "Idol"? They sure add up fast, don't they?) So, we have each of the guys singing a judge's choice of song (sure to be interesting) and a song of their own choosing. Let's get the show started, shall we?

Danny ["Dance Little Sister" by Terence Trent D'Arby] -- A very curious and unconventional song choice, and a song I'm unfamiliar with. But damn, did he do a fantastic job of it or what?!?! This is a fine display of why Danny is in the Top Three, and I believe firmly so. It took me awhile to really become a Danny fan, but I am now. And I tell you, if he and Adam make it into the finale, the results show next Wednesday is going to be positively agonizing to watch.

Kris ["Apologize" by OneRepublic] -- Hmmm ... I just can't picture Kris doing a good job with this song, but then I guess that's the point of the judge's choice, to put the singers on the spot and see what they've got. Well, let's see what Kris has got. ... Well, I have to tell you I was a bit underwhelmed ... I can hear Simon already, calling it a "karaoke" or "copycat" performance. Kris has demonstrated that he can take a song and make it his own, and he just didn't do that this time. Now let's see if I was right about Simon's comments ... aside from putting Kara on the spot quite bluntly, he said a softer version of what I was saying: "a competent version of the original, but not quite as good."

Adam ["One" by U2] -- An interesting choice for sure, but then just about anything would present interesting possibilities for "the chameleon". Let's check it out ... Excellent as usual, except for the tongue-out screeching near the end (which was the first time that Adam's singing actually made me cringe ... the tongue thing more than the notes). Fantastic, and I agree with the judges: he's in the final round for sure.

Halftime assessment: Okay, the judges have gotten quite a bit out of control with their bickering and slap-fights and whatnot ... I hope they get some complaints about that and tone it down for the finale. As for the contestants: I hate to disappiont the "Kris-tians" or "Kris-py-kritters" or whatever the Kris fans call themselves, but as things have gone so far tonight, he's being let go after tomorrow night. If he isn't, then I'm gonna have a real problem. Of course I already have a problem with the whole voting system in the first place, which allows people to vote as many times as they want, so don't get me started on that. (If Kris makes it through to next week, trust me, you'll see how started I can get!!) Now, on to the second round.

Danny ["You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker] -- Wow, a big song, and arguably overused, so let's see how it works for him. ... He did an excellent job! My only complaint was that he might have gotten a bit bombastic at the crescendo, but it looks like neither the fans nor the judges were bothered by that. I can definitely see these two performances of his carrying him through to the finale. (Aha ... I spoke too soon, as Simon wasn't happy with the arrangement either.)

Kris ["Heartless" by Kanye West] -- Well, Kris definitely gets one award, for the most unanticipated song choices for the night. And I'm not sure how I liked it, frankly. He did well with the singing and the guitar playing, but I don't think the song translated well to an acoustic-guitar arrangement. A good performance, but when it comes down to it, Kris is the one I'm least enthusiastic about judging from tonight's performances. (Simon liked it ... color me surprised.)

Adam ["Cryin'" by Aerosmith] -- Oh yeah, Aerosmith is the stuff ... let's see Adam rock it! They almost needn't have bothered showing it, 'cause I knew he was going to hit it out of the park! That settles it ... Adam's got this week in the bag for sure!!

Who I think will be eliminated: Kris (but then you knew that already).

Who I think should be eliminated: Kris (but then you knew that already, too).

I know I've basically conveyed this already, but if it's not Adam and Danny in the finale, I'm gonna have a serious problem here. Adam is way, way, way too good to be outvoted, and with Danny's late wife being his motivation for entering the competition, it would be downright criminal for him to make it this far only to be ousted. Not to mention my opinion that they're both more talented than Kris to begin with.

It's true that I'm not on the Kris bandwagon, but one thing that we all know Ryan's right about is that tomorrow night's results show will be unbelievable and unpredictable. After all, it doesn't matter who the best singer is, because the judges aren't the ones casting the votes. It matters who the audience casts the most votes for. That means that, put simply, anything can happen. I guess we'll find out tomorrow night what does, won't we?

1 comment:

  1. I do think Kris should be in the finals, we'll see later tonight. Simon was afraid that Adam wouldn't cruise into the finale, so he was asking (begging) for people to vote for him, kind of weak I thought.

    KulPop

    ReplyDelete