- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dim The Lights...!

Well, poop. Actually, I said something a little stronger than that two and a half hours ago when I accidentally saw the name of the winner on the web. That was a fear of mine, that I'd prematurely stumble across the results ... should have known better than to get on the computer before the end of the results show in my time slot. Starting next year, it's a moratorium for me on the internet during results night. Oh well ... crap happens, right?

Now for the results. Am I disappointed? Yeah ... but, as evidenced by my prediction last night, I'm not terribly surprised. I still feel that Danny should have been matched against Adam this week. I know I'm probably being unfair with Kris -- heck, my CD collection is littered with plenty of sensitive male singer-songwriter types not unlike him -- but it's especially annoying in light of how Adam pretty-much outshone Kris in nearly every performance during tonight's show (until I remind myself that it was, obviously, many hours after the viewers' votes were cast). But then I shouldn't really let it disappoint me. Adam's getting a major-label album release just like Kris is ... and he still might be triumphant in the long run, since it's not an unusual occurrence for a runner-up or an also-ran to have more success than the actual "Idol" winner. So, I'll take this opportunity to hold up my white flag and extend a hearty "congrats" to Kris Allen, the latest American Idol.

I've read a few people complain about how long and drawn-out the finale results show is, but then that's for the people who ONLY want to know who the winner of "American Idol" is. This has really turned into an all-out two-hour celebration of rock and pop music that any music lover can sink their teeth into. I mean, just look at the lineup they've had tonight: Kiss, Queen, Lionel Richie, Rod Stewart, Carlos Santana, Cyndi Lauper ... how can you not like it?!?

As was the case last year, it was a lot of fun getting to see the rest of the Top 13 again ... although it was unfortunate in that it reminded me how much I've missed some of them, particularly Anoop, Michael, Matt and Alexis. (Yes, I miss Allison and Danny too, but they've only been gone for a couple of weeks.) I also kind-of like how they didn't take themselves too seriously in the show ... the clip montages of each of the judges at the beginning was a hoot ... and the "Idol Awards" were a cute little diversion, too. The always-entertaining Nick Mitchell's appearance was a show in itself! Oh, and Tatiana? Uh, yeah ... she's still just as -- how can I say this tactfully? -- bat-shit crazy as she ever was.

So, I guess that's it for this season ... it was over almost as quickly as it started. I can't wait until January!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I have to say being based in the UK the whole AI experience usually passes me by other than youtubing the final few contestants. I actually watched the finale this year and have been utterly enamoured by Adam who i dismissed from the youtube clips as being a bit gimmicky (they don't do him justice outside the confines of the show). I was blown away by him last night, and although i think Kris was a decent winner ( a safe solid reliable but ultimately not too exciting album is bound to follow), Adam hopefully will soar on his debut, just like Blake Lewis' debut was by and large a fairly exciting effort. Nice blog btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about Kris ... he's going to have to put some pretty impressive stuff on his album to get me to buy it, but I'm already waiting eagerly for Adam's debut. Kris' win still puzzles me, frankly, especially with the performances that Adam, and even Danny, gave last night. Oh well, no accounting for taste, I guess ... especially with us Yanks! ;-)

    And thanks for the comments ... always nice to get feedback!

    -T

    ReplyDelete