- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

American Idol 2009 - The Top 5

Uhmm ... "perfect mentor"? I'm sorry, I like Jamie Foxx just fine, but I dispute his worthiness to be the Top Five's mentor for Rat Pack night ... I'd be thinking more along the lines of Tony Bennett or maybe Johnny Mathis or Paul Anka. Sigh ... one of the things I hate about this show is rearing its ugly head: the commercial tie-ins. Remember, Jamie Foxx has a new movie coming out, "The Soloist" ... don't get me wrong, it looks like a great movie, but that's obviously the big reason he's on the show tonight. Now, let's see if I can ignore the majorly annoying problem I'm having with Firefox (it refuses to load anything YouTube related, be it the site itself, or embedded YouTube vids on blogs ... any help out there?) and enjoy tonight's performances.

Again, I won't bother noting original artists with the songs, since these old standards were typically done by a lot of different artists.

Kris ["The Way You Look Tonight"] -- One of my favorites, so let's hope Kris does it justice ... It was very good, but of course I have a hard time trying not to compare his rendition to those of the greats, which -- no offense to Kris because he's excellent -- he simply can't touch. I guess the only thing that's keeping me from loving it is the fact that we all know this isn't Kris' bag, so it comes off (to me, at least) as just a bit insincere.

Allison ["Someone To Watch Over Me"] -- Wow!! Just when I thought her best performances were behind her, she comes through with perhaps her best yet!! That was gorgeous ... 'nuff said. And Kara is right that Simon is crazy ... again, 'nuff said.

Matt ["My Funny Valentine"] -- Hmmm ... while I liked it quite well, I thought it was the weakest performance of the night ... pitchy in places, as Randy said. Good, but I'm kind-of thinking his number's up this week. I'm quite surprised that Simon actually enjoyed it ... that guy is full of surprises, isn't he?

Danny ["Come Rain Or Come Shine"] -- Hot damn!!! Like Allison, I was beginning to think that Danny's peak had come and gone -- but this one blows away just about everything he's done before! He totally brought the house down, and is making me worried for Adam, having to follow an act like this!!

Adam ["Feeling Good"] -- Adam's starting to become boring ... but only because he's always so darn good!! I don't think I like his performance as much as Danny's tonight, but he's still solidly in this competition! Gotta love how he held that long note, too!

Who I think will be eliminated: Matt.

Who I think should be eliminated: Matt.

Who else I think will be in the bottom two: Allison.

Hmmm ... it wasn't quite as difficult as I thought pegging the weakest performance of the night. Tune in tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling what you put down. I still can't get on the Adam bus, but that is perhaps because I feel he is better suited for broadway (which we know he has done).

    I think Kris and Danny have originality. Matt will probably go home, but it could be Allison too since it doesn't seem she has a HUGE fan base. She is one note for me...Not gonna lie.

    ReplyDelete