- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

American Idol 2009 - The Top 7

What the hell--?!? Quentin Tarantino must have a new movie coming out that he (or Fox) wants to plug; that's the only reason they'd have him on there instead of a movie-industry person who actually has something to do with music. Methinks "American Idol" is getting reachy ... aha, I was right -- he does have some World War II movie heading toward the screen. Oh hey, Steven Van Zandt is in the crowd (with that Silvio Dante scowl on his face, unfortunately). Now, no sooner do we start than we -- well, start.

Allison ["I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith] -- Hmmm ... it wasn't her strongest performance ... I think she should have sung in a slightly higher key, 'cause she sounded like she was "digging" a bit for those lower notes. Simon and Paula obviously liked it more than I did ... don't get me wrong, though; it was still Allison, and she's still really good.

Anoop ["Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" by Bryan Adams] -- Oh boy, one of the most ridiculously overplayed songs ever, so much so that I got pretty much sick of it back in the day ... let's pray that Anoop can make it fresh. Well, I have to say that wasn't bad at all! He didn't really do anything new with it, but he did everything he could without hamming it up, oversinging, or committing some other vote-losing faux-pas. Well done, Anoop-dawg.

Adam ["Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolf] -- What other song would Adam do? A perfect move after two weeks of showing his subdued, "tender" side. And should we have expected anything less of him than to rock the freakin' house like he just did?!?!? I still think he could let up a bit on the falsetto, but Adam Lambert is totally rocking my world right now! If I were voting, he'd most likely be the one getting my vote this week (but, of course, the show isn't even half over yet...).

Matt ["Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" by Bryan Adams] -- Well, Bry's gettin' the coverage tonight, isn't he? Not that I'm complaining ... more power to him. As for Matt ... he was quite good. I didn't totally get into it, for some reason ... not sure if it's just 'cause I'm not too crazy about the song, or what. Very good, but he fell short of "great" for me.

Danny ["Endless Love" by Lionel Richie] -- An interesting song choice ... and he did well ... but I didn't quite love it. I wasn't as disappointed in it as I was in Matt's performance, but I still came out of it feeling like I was missing something. Might Danny not end up winning...?

Kris ["Falling Slowly" by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová] -- Gosh ... is it just me? I'm not seeing very many of the guys performing very strongly this week. I'd agree with Randy ... he was a little pitchy, plus I'd imagine that my own unfamiliarity with the song probably played a role in my being underwhelmed by it. Obviously the girls love him ... we'll see where he lands tomorrow night.

Lil ["The Rose" by Bette Midler] -- I was worried at first, but when she kicked it up halfway through I started getting into it! It's when her voice soars that she gets really good ... and when she's quiet, unfortunately her voice tends to quaver just a little bit. She didn't like what Simon said, but I have to more-or-less agree with him (except for his describing the song as "middle-of-the-road" or whatever he called it).

Who I think will be eliminated: Lil.

Who I think should be eliminated: Lil.

Who else I think will be in the bottom three: Allison and Danny (sacrilege, I know, and I'm probably wrong, 'cause I think too many of the people love him).

Let's tune in tomorrow, shall we?

1 comment:

  1. well, I think you had a fair analysis of the show.

    I hated the theme. I hated that they all picked obvious songs (except Kris).

    I cannot stand Adam. :)

    I also think that Lil should be gone tonight. She was worn out her welcome.

    I'll comment more later.

    ReplyDelete