- - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 2000s - - - - - - - Favorite CDs of the 1990s - - - - - - -

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Idol 2010 -- The Top 11

No offense to any Miley Cyrus fans out there -- and I myself have nothing against her at all -- but I almost laughed when I heard that she was going to be a "mentor" for tonight's show. She's probably a perfectly decent artist (I wouldn't know, really), but isn't she a bit too young to be a "mentor"? I don't know, folks ... the further we get into this season, the more I'm feeling like this will be my last one as an "Idol" watcher. Let's see how this week's performances go....

Lee DeWyze ("The Letter" by The Box Tops) -- Well, it's about time this guy did something to impress me! I loved the jazzy/big-band arrangement, and his voice was the best I've ever heard it! Definitely a great, great performance!

Paige Miles ("Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)" by Phil Collins) -- I like this girl, but she's been inconsistent. Last week she was great, but her voice was really shaky again tonight like it was two weeks ago. I think this might be it for her, but then again I said that before.

Tim Urban ("Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen) -- As soon as I saw he was doing this song, I was afraid for him ... and for good reason. It wasn't bad ... but then it wasn't great, either. I'm actually surprised Simon didn't use the word "karaoke" to describe this one.

Aaron Kelly ("I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith) -- This kid has so much charm and likeability, and can soldier through a double-whammy of laryngitis and tonsilitis, and turn in a great performance of a great song ... fantastic!!

Crystal Bowersox ("Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin) -- Wow!! This is why she's been in the competition for this long, and why she'll be around for weeks to come ... a magnificent showing, probably the best of the evening!

Michael Lynche ("When a Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge) -- It was fantastic, as we've come to expect from Big Mike, but I can understand some of the judges' comments that they've heard better from him before. Still, though, he's the guy to beat.

Andrew Garcia ("I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye) -- Hmmm ... as much as I like this guy, it felt like he was totally going through the motions. His voice was fine, but I couldn't hear any passion in his singing ... disappointing, quite frankly.

Katie Stevens ("Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie) -- She started out as one of my favorite ladies this year, but she's started falling behind in my rankings. This performance was good, though a bit pitchy here and there. Still pretty good, but not excellent.

Casey James ("The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News) -- I liked it well enough ... but there was something keeping me from loving it. Maybe it was the fact that he chose that song that made it just not feel quite right. Better luck next week, Casey.

Didi Benami ("You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt) -- I got the same feeling with this performance as with Andrew Garcia's ... she just sang the song, and didn't feel it. Like Ellen said, there seems to be a rash of bad song choices tonight. I still like Didi, though.

Siobhan Magnus ("Superstition" by Stevie Wonder) -- I could have done without that slightly screechy note near the end, but otherwise I totally loved it! Every week that goes by, Siobhan climbs higher on my list of favorites this year. Dynamite!!

My most favorite performances of the night: Crystal, Siobhan, and Aaron.

My least favorite performances of the night: Andrew, Paige, and Didi.

Who I think should be eliminated: Paige.

Who I think will be eliminated: Paige.

Final thought: I wonder what I'll have for dinner tomorrow night...?

No comments:

Post a Comment